News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Tales from the World Serpent Inn (Roll20)

Ixiolander

Link to Roll20 Recruitment

The World Serpent Inn is both a place and a non-place, existing in multiple planes simultaneously and nowhere at all. It is a gathering place for dead races, unborn gods, forgotten heroes, restless ghosts, and the engineers of worlds as yet uncreated. Almost all the inhabitants of the Inn are travelers, either by design or by chance. Many have simply stopped here during journeys to other places, while others came to the Inn accidentally, then realized they could not get home.

Plan to meet once every 1 or 2 weeks depending on schedules, usually on the weekend (Sat or Sun). If schedules are flexible enough, possibly outside of those times.

We also make use of the following:
    - Mythweavers (for character sheets)
    - Skype (for chatting during sessions)...or Mumble (if we get enough CotP/TEO members interested that I can justify it)

As for the campaign, the house-rules (and character creation rules) have been posted here.

Note: You'll probably have to log in to view them.

Thanks!

Tales of the World Serpent Inn House-rules

The first thing you should note before reading these are what I'm looking for which are interesting, colourful, and unique characters. Characters with goals and personality, and above all else capability of working with the others in the game. Additionally, excessively powerful characters that will overshadow others in the group are not what I'd like to see and will be passed over. Reach for a happy medium (good at some things, weak at others). Dumped or low stats are welcome if they are explained in the background/character information and have a reason to be there. I do like having lots of character information including a background, goals/aspirations, personality, appearance, and more. The 5-minute background should be considered the bare minimum. Above all else, have fun with it and be creative!

Please use Mythweavers for your character sheet when you make it!

> 20 Point Buy
    > Races: By Approval. Should be balanced or very close to core though. Have a functional knowledge of the world your race is from (and if custom have it readily available for the DM before the game begins). Homebrew races are fine but need to be approved in advance.
    The DM currently has information or some knowledge on the worlds of Golarion, Faerun, Aden, Kaidan, and a small amount on Sigil, Eberron, and Darksun.
    > Classes: Use Gestalt Rules with the following adjustments (Combine any two level 1-20 classes. You may not multiclass or change the chosen classes). Most classes by approval.
    Currently no Dreamscarred Press classes, Tinker (Interjection Games), Summoner, Luckbringer, or other overly complex classes allowed.
    Talented versions of classes are allowed with the exception of Barbarian (not had a chance to go through yet). I like a lot of 3rd party stuff so feel free to ask (we can probably balance most things for use).
    > Alignment: No evil characters please.
    > Feats: Crafting and Leadership feats are not allowed. Each character gains weapon finesse, agile manoeuvres, and heighten spell for free.
    > Spells: Will be covered below in better detail.
    > Starting Level: 4
    > Hit Points: Maxed at 1st, take average or a roll for remainder. If rolled, DM must witness the roll. Hero points may be used to re-roll a hit point roll once.
    > Starting Wealth: TBD.

Misc (1) - A given character may only have one companion, familiar, or other bonus creature. In a case where a character gets multiple, combine the bonuses and 'gestalt' the creature. Ex. A wizard/druid's companion takes the higher for BAB, HD, Skills, and so on and gains all the bonuses from being both a familiar and an animal companion.

Misc (2) - Hero Points will be used. They are as the rules on the SRD with the following exceptions:
    - No limit to the number a character can have
    - Characters do not receive a free hero point on level-up
    - Hero Points are handed out for achieving goals, role-playing, and being heroic
    - *Special* When using hero points to boost the DC of a spell you gain a +4 bonus (only +2 bonus if the spell causes instant death). Most other uses of hero points (skill checks, attack rolls, damage, etc) gain a +8 bonus if used BEFORE the roll.

Misc (3) - Spontaneous casters do not increase their casting times when applying metamagic and use altered caster charts for when they get their spells (basically they gain spells a level earlier, but only can use ones granted via their bloodline/mystery or similar):

Chart unable to be copied neatly. Please consult DM for chart.

Misc (4) - The game will be using 'Heroic Distinctions'. Starting at level 3 you may choose 1 heroic distinction you qualify for at each level. At 8th level you may choose 2 heroic distinctions you qualify for at each level. Please note Training Bonuses to not stack with Enhancement Bonuses, except in the cases where these bonuses would normally stack with magical enhancements (IE Magus’ Arcane Pool enhancement to a weapon).
    Note: Weapons do not require the regular +1 enhancement before applying other properties due to the use of heroic distinctions. A Flaming sword (longsword with only the flaming property) is possible under these rules.

Defensive Training: The character receives a +1 training bonus to the effective armor bonus worn and reduces the ACP by 1 of any one type of armor.
    Improved Defensive Training: The character receives a +2 training bonus to the effective armor bonus, reduces the ACP by 2 for any one type of armor worn. A character must be at least 6th level and have the Defensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Greater Defensive Training The character receives a +2 training bonus to the effective armor bonus, reduces the ACP by 2, and reduces the movement penalty by 5 feet for any one type of armor worn. A character must be at least 9th level and have the Improved Defensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Penultimate Defensive Training: The character receives a +4 training bonus to the effective armor bonus, reduces the ACP by 3, and reduces the movement penalty by 5 feet for any one type of armor worn. A character must be at least 12th level and have the Greater Defensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Perfected Defensive Training: The character receives a +5 training bonus to the effective armor bonus, reduces the ACP by 3, and reduces the movement penalty by 10 feet for any one type of armor worn. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Penultimate Defensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Shield Training: The character receives a +1 training bonus to the effective armor bonus of any one type of shield worn.
    Greater Shield Training: The character receives a +3 training bonus to the effective armor bonus of any one type of shield worn. A character must be at least 7th level and have the Shield Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Perfected Shield Training: The character receives a +5 training bonus to the effective armor bonus of any one type of shield worn. A character must be at least 14th level and have the Greater Shield Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Offensive Training: The character receives a +1 training bonus to attacks and damage with a category of weapons.
    Improved Offensive Training: The character receives a +2 training bonus to attacks and damage with a category of weapons. A character must be at least 6th level and have the Offensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Greater Offensive Training: The character receives a +3 training bonus to attacks and damage with a category of weapons. . A character must be at least 9th level and have the Offensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Penultimate Offensive Training: The character receives a +4 training bonus to attacks and damage with a category of weapons. A character must be at least 12th level and have the Greater Offensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Perfected Offensive Training: The character receives a +5 training bonus to attacks and damage with a category of weapons. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Penultimate Offensive Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Ambidexterity: When the character is fighting with two weapons, they reduce the penalty by 2 to their attack rolls.
    Perfect Ambidexterity: When the character is fighting with two weapons, they reduce the penalty by 4 to their attack rolls (this cannot reduce the penalty further than 0). A character must be 7th level and have the Ambidexterity distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Lucky: The character receives a +1 resistance bonus to their Fortitude, Reflex, and Willpower saves.
    Blessed: The character receives a +3 resistance bonus to their Fortitude, Reflex, and Willpower saves. A character must be at least 7th level and have the Lucky distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Exalted: The character receives a +5 resistance bonus to their Fortitude, Reflex, and Willpower saves. A character must be at least 13th level and have the Blessed distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Nimble: The character gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC.
    Artful: The character’s dodge bonus increases to +2. A character must be at least 7th level and have the Nimble distinctions before selecting this distinction.
    Deft: The character’s dodge bonus increases to +3. A character must be at least 14th level and have the Artful distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Hardened: The character's natural armor bonus improves by +1.
    Grizzled: The character's natural armor bonus increases to +3. A character must be at least 7th level and have the Hardened distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Iron Skinned: The character's natural armor bonus increases +5. A character must be at least 14th level and have the Grizzled distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Strong: The character receives a +2 training bonus to strength. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Dextrous: The character receives a +2 training bonus to dexterity. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Hearty: The character receives a +2 training bonus to constitution. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Intelligent: The character receives a +2 training bonus to intelligence. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Wise: The character receives a +2 training bonus to wisdom. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Charismatic: The character receives a +2 training bonus to charisma. A character must be at least 5th level before selecting this distinction.
    Mighty: +4 Training bonus to strength. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Strong distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Adroit: +4 Training bonus to dexterity. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Dextrous distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Unyielding: +4 Training bonus to constitution. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Hearty distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Inspired: +4 Training bonus to intelligence. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Intelligent distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Attuned: +4 Training bonus to wisdom. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Wise distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Majestic: +4 Training bonus to charisma. A character must be at least 10th level and have the Charismatic distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Herculean: +6 Training bonus to strength. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Mighty distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Alacritous: +6 Training bonus to dexterity. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Adroit distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Titanic: +6 Training bonus to constitution. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Unyielding distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Brilliant: +6 Training bonus to intelligence. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Inspired distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Enlightened: +6 Training bonus to wisdom. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Attuned distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Awe Inspiring: +6 Training bonus to charisma. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Majestic distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Magical Training: The character receives a +1 trait bonus to concentration checks.
    Improved Magical Training: The character receives a +2 trait bonus to concentration checks. A character must be at least 6th level and have the Magical Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Greater Magical Training: The character receives a +3 trait bonus to concentration checks. A character must be at least 9th level and have the Improved Magical Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Penultimate Magical Training: The character receives a +4 trait bonus to concentration checks and a +1 trait bonus to the DCs of their spells. A character must be at least 12th level and have the Greater Magical Training distinction before selecting this distinction.
    Perfected Magical Training: The character receives a +5 trait bonus to concentration checks and a +2 trait bonus to the DCs of their spells. A character must be at least 15th level and have the Perfect Magical Training distinction before selecting this distinction.

Spell Changes

Most Core allowed (some changed slightly) and most other spell by DM approval. If something seems too good, it probably is and is liable to change. I do allow the creation of custom spells using the Spellcraft skill (costs time and resources to do) but they must be balanced against spells of a similar level.

Barkskin - Duration reduced to 1 min/lvl. Does not stack with other bonuses to natural armor (except existing natural armor, such as a kobold's scales).
    Blood Money - Banned.
    'Pit' Line of Spells - DC to climb out is now equal to the regular DC of a spell cast at that level (10 + Spell Lvl + Mod + Misc)
    Snowball - Evocation instead of Conjuration. Spell Resistance applies. No stagger effect.
    Simulacrum - Banned
    'Summon' Line of Spells - May only have one creature summoned at a time.
    Edited by Ixiolander

Interested. A good barbarian beaker will be useful.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/breaker

He will have no ''weapon'' on him.

Just a good ol' Sledge. (he is a carpenter, a dangerous job)

Do you accept That improvised weapon can be enchanted?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=894936 (not finish)

Edited by Gayel Nord

Cool. I'll be away for this weekend and will be looking through everything once I get back. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer soon as I can.

*editting in Houserules and Character Creation Rules for ease*

Edited by Ixiolander

Alright, back from the weekend. Let's see....

Note that enhancement bonuses overall don't exist outside some small exceptions. Basic enhancement bonuses are now treated as training bonuses and gained through heroic distinctions each level. This is to make item slots a bit more customizable (a wizard gains the intelligence enhancement from heroic distinctions and wear some other headband instead). Anything with regular enhancement bonuses pretty much don't exist (enhancement to armor, enhancement to weapons, enhancement to stats, etc). Look over the heroic distinctions, if there is a heroic distinction for it...you probably won't see it on an item normally. Exception to this being natural armor and deflection bonuses. Let me know if that isn't clear.

As for improvised weapons specifically? Yeah I don't see why not. Finding them might be a bit trickier but you could get custom work done as well in any case.

Advanced classes? Like...bloodrager and whatnot from the advanced class guide (well the playtest)? I'm fine with them. Any changes the final product puts in will be implemented when it is released to warn you so keep that in mind that things could change. I'm allowing most lvl 1-20 classes from paizo, a fair number from 3rd party publishers, and I'm game to look over new stuff if you have something you really want to try. There are a few I really don't want to DM and they've been outlined above (summoner, luckbringer, dreamscarred press stuff, etc).

I'm pretty open with scheduling personally, being on shiftwork I have to be. My aim is to try meet weekly to bi-weekly schedules pending (generally aiming for Sat or Sundays depending on my shiftwork). Also to have enough players that not everyone -has- to be there every session. Guess I should have mentioned, but I tend to level everyone up at the same time regardless of exp to be fair and even stat-wise. Loot and hero points will vary depending how often you show up and contribute, but everyone will be the same level as we go.

Any other questions, let me know! Thanks for the interest!

Edited by Ixiolander

Ok So training are like enchessement. Does like have a +3 training on weapon will past dr cold iron or silver? Does that mean to thing like bane (who give a +2 enchement vs a type) and furious (who give +2 enchement when you are raging) will not stack? or exist?

Also it seem that there somme player who will play a barbarian/other. It could be redondant. So i am thinking for a rogue (scroll scolar)/ swashbuckler ).

What is is a gestalt? You said a mix of two base class. Does that mean that a barbare/fighter will have base attack bonus of +8 at level for and 2 feat at 1 ,3 ,5? Or you take the best of each and take all the power?

Good questions. I didn't want to overwhelm with information at first, but since you are asking...

Training vs Enhancement. Training bonuses do not grant the ability to bypass against material-based DR, an intentional change to make the material matter a little bit more (though obviously there are spells and whatnot that you can use, not to mention weapon blanches and such to change it quickly if you need). Bane would still grant a +2d6 damage bonus, but there would be no additional enhancement. Furious...I'll need to give some extra thought on. The latter two here may change, but that's what I'll be going with for the moment.

Play whatever you feel like and have fun. :) I find most people play more interesting and creative characters when free to do what they want. I still haven't nailed down who all is or isn't playing and I may add a few extra if we get lots of submissions.

I realized I never explained gestalt very well nor is it especially easy to google or find on the SRD. Gestalt combines two classes into one, creating a much more diverse (and often more powerful character). When gestalt-ing, you take the higher of BAB, Saving Throws, Hit Dice, Skill Points gained each level. You combine all the class skills on the character and they gain all class abilities from both classes. Stat point and feat progression remain the same (a single stat point increase at 4,8,12, etc and a single feat gained at 1,3,5,7,9, etc...assuming a class you pick doesn't gain extra).

An example might illustrate better. Let's assume you want to build a fighter/wizard with gestalt. The character gains a d10 hit dice, high BAB, high fort and will saving throws (low reflex, neither gets high for it), class skills from both the fighter and wizard lists, 2+int skill points each level (they gain the same so it remains unchanged), and all class abilities from both (including the bonus fighter feat, wizard familiar/arcane bond, spells, etc).

In general, it lets you round out characters much better and combine classes to make characters that would be hard to do otherwise. A gestalt wizard/rogue is much superior to an arcane trickster PRC character in almost all cases.

I do generally rule if you gain the same ability from two classes it does not stack, you take the higher (sneak attack comes to mind). Spellcasting is an exception to this but you could get overloaded trying to manage two different spell lists and slots (which might have different spells, spell slots, saving throws, etc).

Make sense? Or can I elaborate somehow to make it easier?

Edited by Ixiolander

I think I may also have to step back out. I barely have enough time to keep up with everything else that is going on. Additional games at this time is probably less than wise. My apologies.

No need to apologize, been there before. My schedule happened to open up a little and the group was starting a new campaign so I wanted to give the fine folks here first dibs in. Appreciate letting me know!

Ok it doesn't matter now but I think I will take the Breaker/Talented monk (with the drunken ki talent) or lorewarden/talented monk.

Edited by Gayel Nord

A monk/fighter would get bonus feats from both I'd say. I don't want to hamstring martial characters excessively and feats aren't going to wreck anything balance-wise.

Rest sounds good so far.

Edited by Ixiolander

Hate making a double post, but I think it's important enough to let everyone know who is interested submitting characters must be done by the end of May 24th (Saturday). That includes having most of the character sheet done and getting me information on the character (personality, background, allies/enemies, potential plothooks, etc). The sooner I get it, the better I can work on the plotline and customize it to the characters and their individual goals and create custom stories with them.

Within a day or two after that I'll be finalizing my choices and making sure everything is ready to go for the start date of June 7th.

Edited by Ixiolander

I am aiming for something more simple in terme of play. a Trip master. I wonder what the magic below would be under your rules.

Dueling (Melee Weapon Special Ability)

Aura moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Price +1 bonus

Description

A dueling weapon bears magical enhancements that makes

it particularly effective at performing certain combat

maneuvers. When a dueling weapon is used to perform a

combat maneuver that utilizes the weapon only (see below),

it grants a luck bonus equal to twice its enhancement

bonus on the CMB check made to carry out the maneuver.

The dueling weapon also grants this same luck bonus to

the wielder’s CMD score against these types of combat

maneuvers. These combat maneuvers include disarm and

trip maneuvers, but not bull rush, grapple, or overrun

maneuvers. If you’re using the additional combat maneuvers

in the Advanced Player’s Guide, this also includes any

dirty trick maneuvers that utilize the weapon, as well as

reposition combat maneuvers, but not drag or steal combat

maneuvers. Note that this luck bonus stacks with the

weapon’s enhancement bonus, which in and of itself adds to

CMB checks normally.

Construction

Requirements Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cat’s grace

Hm it's fine in itself, the issue being that we're not using weapon enhancement bonuses. I suppose we could base it off the training bonus from Offensive Training heroic distinction instead though. That would probably be alright.

Mostly finish need only to buy equipment, sort the skill to follow my background in french with lots of faults. Traduction soon.

resume: he is an ex-circus worker who have being conscript in the army who is being transported in the inn during a climatic battle with a alchemist/wizard and his monstrous minions.

Sounds pretty good. More detail would be great, but I like the idea there. When you can, get me a myth-weavers sheet to look over too please.

Also forgot to ask, but what is your availability like Gayel? Due to the shiftwork I'm on we're meeting on weekends but whether it is Saturday or Sunday is going to vary on a given week (I have to swap between them due to the shifts changing every few months from start of the week to the end and vice versa).

Gotcha...might not work out great as with the shifts, the weeks I'm on night shift I need to start the gaming a bit later. Not sure it'll give much time before you have to meet your other group.

That is a pretty crazy bonus I'll say. Very nice!

Note that resistance cloaks are not available due to their bonus being replaced by heroic distinctions. Rest is looking good though a little hard to read, could you add some (lvl) to show when you get everything?