News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • The Castle Project.

Grim

• CotP Guardian

Well as we all know, the castle project has begun and is coming along great.

We all will need to pitch in a bit, to get this group project finished, while having fun working togather.

We are in dire need of stone, cement and concrete, as well as needing more wood very soon.

We also need an idea for an entry, one or two grand door openings or bunker type entries, in order to leave the walls and maximum integrity?

Any ideas you wish to have know, go ahead and post them in this thread.   :D

Just under 25% of the outer wall has been completed thus far, next will be an inner wall as well as the remainder of the structure. :)

The hordes did make the building fun last night, we kept getting continuous spawns at some points, which really kept us on our toes. lol. 

gallery_13835_55_756905.png

gallery_13835_55_1307883.png

Cheers

Grim

• Administrators

Construction on the Castle was started on May 6th.

I am going to help with the general layout and leave the rest to more talented people. 

Stage 1

Lay down the base foundation for the outer walls.  Bakath and I worked out the design of the outerwall and are in the process of building the base foundation. We are going to use reinforced concrete for the foundation and then use cobblestone to build on top of the base.

We have 3/4 of the base outline completed.  Grim and I will finish the rest when I get home or anyone can finish it if they have time.  Just follow the outline we have setup.

Stage 2

We need to clear out all the dirt within the outer wall.  Save the dirt in chests, because we will need it later.

Stage 3

Lay down a reinforced concrete basement floor.  After that is complete then will add the ceiling.  We will need supporting pillars spread across the basement floor to support the ceiling.  We are not going to use the basement for anything other than a place to enter the castle and a place to hold the chests of dirt.

We are going to use the basement ceiling as a foundation on which to build the courtyard and main building(s). 

Stage 4

Build an entrance to the castle.  We will need a tunnel from the basement floor to someplace outside.  The outside entrance could be something as simple as a hatched entrance built on a mound of stone. Builder needed.

Stage 5

Build the Inner wall.

Stage 6

Build the inner buildings and rooms.  Add artistic touches on rest of castle.

========

I think that after we complete the basement ceiling then everyone should grasp what we are trying to build and will be able to contribute more. 

I would like to tap Jakari and Ginger to help with the inner buildings and room designs.  While I leave it up to Bakath and others to help with the over all tower and wall designs.

Eendiwena is heading up the Highway to Hell project, he may or may not need volunteers.  I will let him create a separate thread for that project.

Currently, we need stone more than anything else.  Lots and Lots of stone.  If anyone has an interested in helping to design then feel free to speak up.

• Administrators

If anyone wants to help now, this is what I would like done first.

Stage 2

We need to clear out all the dirt within the outer wall.  Save the dirt in chests, because we will need it later

We also need lots of stone, with lots in the range of a few thousand stone units.

Tonight i will be adding several more bulding supply chests.  I will have 1 for each raw material needed and a couple for the crafted components.  The current raw material need that will have their own crates are:

Plant fiber

Stone

Iron

Wood, in the form of logs.

Wood, in the form of boards and sticks

Fertile soil

Crates for crafted supplies whould include the following:

Cobble stone frames, square and ramps

Cement

Cobble Stone rocks

Concrete Mix

Rebar frames

I will also be adding a food supply crate, ammo supply crate, first aid, and repair materials.  These will also need people to tend to stocking these.  A garden can be cut south of the castle build.

I am currently covering most of the rock collection from the highway project which i have been splitting between the forge for cement and the chest to use.

• CotP Guardian

Regarding this...

Eendiwena is heading up the Highway to Hell project, he may or may not need volunteers.  I will let him create a separate thread for that project.

There was a minor setback last night as the zombies took to attacking the large pillar, encompassing the highway entrance. Damis and I took them down, but not before they could damage things.

This morning, after I logged in, I walked up to take a look at things and get the screenshots, The mobs had once again been attacking the pillar. Or there is a nightly rubberband, when the server goes to sleep, depending on when it last saved. At any rate, repairs are in order.

I am suggesting that if we want to keep that pilar in tact that we may need to make a reinforced concrete base, to protect it.

Cheers

Grim

That could pose a problem as our supplies are there..........

Maybe tonight i will work to encompass the tower with cobblestone so it doesn't look out of place but protects this area

• Administrators

They attacked the large pillar because it has entrance to the mine, otherwise they would have left it alone.    eventually we will tear it down and either create a watch tower or a small pill box in it's place.

• CotP Guardian

They attacked the large pillar because it has entrance to the mine, otherwise they would have left it alone.    eventually we will tear it down and either create a watch tower or a small pill box in it's place.

What about a direct entrance from the castle, eliminating the need to go outside, to enter the highway?

Just a thought.  :D

Cheers

Grim

Personally i suggest encasing it with cobblestone once the castle is complete, why do all the extra work of rebuilding it when we can use whats there the way it is :)

Dressing it up would be easier and faster.

Cutting a path from the highway to the castle would be very simple, and would give you the entrance to the castle you're looking for.  Then another pill box or hatch entrance can be added on the north side of the castle giving us a couple options incase the castle is swarmed and people need in/out.

I will be making an inner tunnel up through the Point so I will have tons of stone for you. With the Highway to Hell project, Eendi will have a lot also. I can also start hitting up the caves for more. I will be more than happy to do the interior decorating once we get there. I will start gathering the necessary resources as I make runs. I will need lots of the chrysanthemum's if anyone wants to grab some when they head out.

We have a problem kiddies. A horde apparently took out a wall to the castle and then dug its way to the Highway. I got taken out by 2 cops an my bag went poof. There is some serious damage the whole way through.

• CotP Guardian

Oh the humanity!

Perhaps those cobblestone walls are not as good as we had thought, well Damis, you have your weak points, the whole castle?  LOL!

Back to work, hehehe

Cheers

Grim

I think the highway's first half was compromised because i ran into the cave where a spawn point is.  Might have to consider routing the highway deeper and completely disconnecting the highway from the cave.  AS for the Castle, well sounds like the horde liked it, maybe we can repair it with gingerbread siding.

• CotP Guardian

I think the highway's first half was compromised because i ran into the cave where a spawn point is.  Might have to consider routing the highway deeper and completely disconnecting the highway from the cave.  AS for the Castle, well sounds like the horde liked it, maybe we can repair it with gingerbread siding.

Mmmmmm, gingerbread...

gingerbread_castle__3_by_freezing_pop_li

Cheers

Grim

• Administrators

Oh the humanity!

Perhaps those cobblestone walls are not as good as we had thought, well Damis, you have your weak points, the whole castle?  LOL!

Back to work, hehehe

Cheers

Grim

Castle walls should be destroyed if they are being directly attacked by a horde.  It would be a very boring game if we built stuff which is indestructible. 

• CotP Guardian

From the looks of it, it cobblestone walls work the same way as do wood frames/ Remove the lower blocks and the entire wall collapses in on itself.

I believe that either we will need to rebuild the walls with reinforced concrete or rebuild them daily using cobblestone.

gallery_13835_55_1446614.png

gallery_13835_55_438895.jpg

Cheers

Grim

• CotP Guardian

Castle walls should be destroyed if they are being directly attacked by a horde.  It would be a very boring game if we built stuff which is indestructible. 

If they simply have to take out one block per wall in order for a section wall to fall, then there is something wrong with the building material. I will test that theory when the sun arises, with my trusty pickaxe.

It takes longer to get through other types of wall materials, even wooden blocks as they do not simply topple like these two sections apparently did.

If that is the case we should just use stone, it would be cheaper and faster to make repairs with, since it seems that reinforced concrete is not an option.

Cheers

Grim

• Administrators

Nice, the mobs even took out the reinforced concrete.   In any case, I think the weak point is the blocks which are at an angle, because they are not being supported on the side,  Blocks don't fall when the bottom block is removed if they are touching other blocks on the side.  I was planning to reinforce the diagonal blocks on the inside as soon as we finished laying the ground floor. 

• Administrators

Easy way to test the wall is the take out the bottom block of a sections which flat and bordered by a section on each side.

• CotP Guardian

Was already going topside to test that...

Test results showed that removing just 1 block from the base of a cobblestone wall caused the entire wall to fall, I believe this is because the cobblestone walls are based on wooden frames, which behave exactly the same way.

After removing a reinforced concrete wall block, the wall stood. Notice that the wall I removed the block from only has a wall on the left side that it is using as support?

Conclusion: cobblestone walls, while nice to look at are not something to use for any major construction project..

The zombies will still be able to get through the reinforced blocks, as they did this evening, the only difference is that they will have to get through two blocks, in order to get into the castle, instead of just one and we will not have to waste so many resources in repairs.

Test Result Pictures:

Result, after removing one base block of cobblestone...

gallery_13835_55_244621.jpg

Result Two, after removing one reinforced block, just a hole.

gallery_13835_55_70784.jpg

Cheers

Grim

• Administrators

that's weird because I remove bottom wood blocks all the time and the rest doesn't fall as long as the other blocks are touching other blocks.

• CotP Guardian

Well, I am awaiting further orders...

Either I need to start mass producing rebar frames and mining stone or ?

I'll let someone make the cobblestone daily, if that is the road that we choose.  :P

Cheers

Grim

• Administrators

We still need to finish laying down the reinforced concrete blocks on the ground floor.