CotP Discord Channel

Covenant of the Phoenix has a new official Discord Channel!!!
JOIN COTP IN DISCORD TODAY
By Throne

ATLAS: Present and Future

We have been at it since day one, that ugly and...well, let's just stick with ugly...launch. Even through the lag muck and server instability, you could read the stars and see the potential.  Right off the bat it was only for the tough, and we barreled through the glitchy log-ins, the shaky starter zones and the wretched "lawless" starting areas and found our way to the rafts.  Some were able to get to our island after 3-4 hours of learning how to tack, zig zag and fight through server borders and with a full stack of human hides, and then some were finally rescued after what seemed like days of being eaten alive by scorpions and crocodiles, only to quickly get used to dying to the cold, the wolves, the alpha horses, the water, the sharks and each other's general noob mistakes.
Yes, with the known developer, we did try to ARK it, or Dark and Light it...hell, we've even tried to Life is Feudal this one....and Atlas is just NOT those games.  Some visuals and sounds are there, but the depth and options and functionality is just SO much more.  What really took the game from just another ARK expansion to, the potential mmo of the decade, was getting out on our first schooner, the SS Skjoldr (video below).  The experience was entirely PvE, but when you have 13 people packed on to a single vessel and the guys repairing the ship are as vital as the helmsman steering and the deckhands manning the sails, it became something I haven't seen in a game since our friday night flights on the Decimator back in SWG.
We have had just a blast learning the game and surviving our island and our neighbors over the past couple weeks.  Though it may appear as if we are well off enough, growing from 30 actives day one, to more than double that now, we absolutely could use more folks interested in living the Atlas life.  Whether you are interested in navigating the high seas, captaining a brigand, farming the tundra, mucking through politics, taming elephants or exploring the massive (30-40 hours of sailing from one end to the other) world, it is all here and we have many members willing to help you get started.
Here is a few screencaps and videos to give you an idea of what we have been up to:

Read more...
By Throne

ATLAS

From the sister studio of Wildcard, makers of ARK: Survival Evolved...
ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale with 40,000+ simultaneous players in the same world. Join an endless adventure of piracy & sailing, exploration & combat, roleplaying & progression, settlement & civilization-building, in one of the largest game worlds ever! Explore, Build, Conquer!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/
Early access, Thursday, December 13th  (Update:  delayed release to December 19th) [Update 2: delayed release delayed to December 21st]
Chapter group: 
Discord:  https://discord.gg/v74dSHQ

Read more...
By Throne

Xalt defeats Elric for 2018 Fantasy Football Crown

Xalt's Zappers smirk at expectations, knock off Elric's Arksters in 171.07-127.47 rout

Both teams exceeded their projected point totals, but it was Xalt's Zappers who got the victory, cruising to a 171.07-127.47 win over Elric's Arksters. Elric's Arksters earned a 3.86-point lead on Saturday behind Joey Bosa (2.18 points) and Mike Williams (1.68), but Xalt's Zappers held the lead the rest of the way. They were led by Matt Ryan (25.46 points) and Damien Williams (22.53). Ben Roethlisberger (42.22 points) and T.Y. Hilton (19.4) led the charge for Elric's Arksters in the loss. This marks the second time this season Xalt's Zappers have beaten Elric's Arksters, after winning 118.28-117.7 in their last matchup. Xalt's Zappers end the season at 12-4, while Elric's Arksters finish the campaign at 9-7.

Matchup Highlights

Sunday Early    There were players with standout moments on both teams early Sunday, after which Xalt's Zappers owned a 125.41-53.13 lead. Matt Ryan had a 75-yard touchdown pass and a 44-yard touchdown pass for Xalt's Zappers, while David Njoku had a 66-yard catch. T.Y. Hilton made the highlight reel for Elric's Arksters with a 55-yard catch.

Sunday Late    Both teams had players with big-time moments on Sunday afternoon, but it was Xalt's Zappers who took the lead, 148.54-96.80. For Xalt's Zappers, Robert Woods had a 39-yard touchdown catch. Ben Roethlisberger made the highlight reel for Elric's Arksters with a 20-yard touchdown pass and a 49-yard pass.

Sunday Night    Harrison Butker had a 54-yard field goal for Elric's Arksters, who trailed 171.07-118.27 after Sunday Night Football.
Read more...
By Throne

Kenshi 1.0 Released

It is generally a rarity that finds a single player game a feature of CotP articles, however, over recent months this game has entered my personal top five games of all-time and has passed my hourly steam totals for Mount & Blade, Fallout 4 and Skyrim in the process.  What the....yeah, I know.
So many titles over the years have claimed that it allows its players to "win" the game "their way" in an "open sandbox" environment.  Well, we cannot get the time back that we spent realizing that those developers were still significantly limited in the scope of what any individual's personal definition of in-game "freedom" actually means.  For me, M&B and SWG came close.  Unfortunately, both those games (or their EMU reboot) are either approaching or have surpassed the ten year mark of their seemingly eternal impending latest release. Enter Kenshi.
Freedom is a fun word in Kenshi...yes, you have the freedom to stay solo, group up with a squad, make a vegetable farm, join a faction, enslave a faction, slay the champion, be the richest hermit, recruit an army of robots or build the great city....blah blah, boring.  Now, the freedom to fail in the most unique form possible...that is the true gem in this game.  I will give you just the one example:
My squad is epic, I will tame the badlands and establish a civilized trading outpost...plan = awesome.  Headed for the abandoned fishing outpost.  Acid rain, not fun...put up tent, survived.  Reached fishing village, it is not a fishing village.  Really freaky "skin" people pour out of all the village buildings.  We put up a good fight but were overwhelmed.  One by one, my squad members were....stolen.  Knocked out, picked up and taken to some of the village huts.  What is going on here?  Then the screams.  Agonizing screams from my captured squad members.  No idea.  I am the last one to go down.  KO'd, picked up, taken to a nearby hut....
I died from blood loss.....after I was put into a grinder that peeled my skin off.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

WHAT IS KENSHI?
Kenshi is a single player sandbox PC game set in a vast and atmospheric ‘Sword-Punk’ style open world. With a mix of RPG elements, squad-based control and city-building features, gameplay is completely free-roaming and open: enjoy the freedom and potential to do whatever you want.
Set in an unrelenting world of bloodthirsty cannibals, starving bandits, brutal slavers and wild beasts, survival alone is a grueling struggle… You are not the chosen one. You’re not great and powerful. You don’t have more ‘hitpoints’ than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special. Unless you work for it.
Character Customization 
Edit your characters, build up their strengths and watch them endure and grow. Train Your Skills in Robotics, Thievery, Engineering, Medicine, Weapon Smithing and more!
Squad-Based Control
Play with one character or control a whole team; an army, even. Combat is Real-Time Strategy style with a choice of ranged and melee fighting styles
Build Your Base
Create and run your own city, manage an empire or simply wander the lands as a lone drifter. Research upgrades such as industry tech, weaponry crafting and trade goods
Wounds Affect Gameplay
Complex medical system where injured characters limp, crawl, bleed to death or pass out from starvation. Stem blood loss to avoid predators and replace lost limbs with robotic prosthetics
Open-ended Gameplay
An original sandbox world. Lay siege as a warlord or make your riches as a trader… There are endless game style possibilities and the world will never stop moving
Train hard
There is no level-scaling, the world does not level up along with you. At the start of the game almost everyone will be stronger than you and you’ll have to use your cunning to survive
Survive
Escape capture from deadly slavers & cannibal prisons, rescue your squad mates from grisly death and get them all home alive
Start A Faction
Keep to yourself, form an alliance or oppose other factions and territories of the world… good or bad

https://lofigames.com/road-map/

Read more...
By Throne

Drayvn ARK cluster updated with Extinction

The ARK: Extinction map has been added to Drayvn's Server Cluster.
The Goal:
Link multiple maps on one server so that players can truly enjoy everything the game offers. You can live on the Island and still explore the dungeons on Extinction while using the dragon you got from scorched and the spelunking tools you got from Aberration.
Note: This is a private server cluster created by Drayvn and is open to COTP members who are able to conduct themselves in a mature manner.  
Note II:  These servers are not modded in order to provide some difficulty to those who can handle it.
Maps currently in cluster:
The Island Scorched Earth Aberration Extinction Server Names:
Pheah Islands Pheah Scorched Pheah Aberration Pheah Extinction Forum Group Link: 

Read more...
News Ticker
  • New Features are being added to forums. Stay tuned for updates.
  • Enjoy your summer everyone!

Throne

Mike "Skjoldr" Rodgers has passed away

gallery_13114_3_24220.jpg

Mike "Skjoldr" Rodgers passed away Sunday, August 16, 2015.  We have lost, not just a great leader, but a genuine and loving CotP family member.  He joined the community in the Age of Conan chapter back in 2008 and has been a vital part of this community ever since.  

I saw the leader in him the first time he ran an AoC group...he was all about the group's success, selfless.  However, he was at his best as a leader when the group run was an absolute failure....and everyone still had a good time and laughed about it all night.  Anyone who spent any amount time with him knew two things about him for certain...his passion for gaming....and he loved his mom.  He was a genuine Texan and a genuine friend, and I will miss him very much.

Those of you who knew him, please help us all remember him best by replying with memories and thoughts of Skjoldr.  Even the smallest memory is important, and I know I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like I missed so much...and now I have to rely on what replies may come to remember him as he should be remembered.

One thing he and I would always do when playing Battlefield 4 on Silk Road, is that we would always grab a dirtbike, ammo boxes, and C4. I would drive and he would ride on the back. I'd drive up next to unsuspecting enemy tanks and LAVs. Skjoldr would throw C4 on their hull as I drove next to them. Once, he did that I would speed up and he would blow up the tank. Running away from tanks and helicopters that spotted us, chasing enemy bikes, it was all great fun. He was good at throwing the C4 and he said I had good control of the bike.

Squad leader, teammate, and friend. We're going to miss you. 

-Subspacer15

Oh wow - I don't know what to say. I can't believe it. Whenever I'd get on my computer to play games, Origin would automatically start up. His name would usually pop up as being on too. Playing one of the Battlefield games; BF4 or BF Hardline. 

The very first time I heard him talk was during one of the voice chat guild meetings preparing for SWTOR. He had played the beta. And was very excited about the game coming out. He was saying if you liked Star Wars then your in for a treat.

When BF Hardline first came out we'd sometimes play together on the same "squad". We'd talk in the game voice chat. His voice stood out as sounding very Texan. But, friendly Texan. "Light em up!"

It's important to remember the good times. I'll miss ya bud. Thanks for making playing online games fun. :)

I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours with Skjoldr in Battlefield and other games.  He was such a great leader and such a fun guy to game with.  He was the ideal gaming buddy.  It is an enormous loss.  It is so rare to find someone that brings great leadership along with just plain fun times and humor.  I will miss him so much.

RIP the best squad leader ever

E3 2014, a bunch of us sat in mumble watching the livestream, laughing at this and that. I see he had made a post for a banner/signature request to be made for him for star citizen I think, with a motto and all. We need to make that happen.

Such a caring and loving person ='{

I have no words; he was such a friend and always, always welcoming. If someone needed help with anything he made it his personal mission to organize as many people as it took to get it done. He was never happy unless he could support a group or more of people in whatever they needed and made it fun no matter what we did.

No words.  He was one of our gaming family's best and leaves a gaping hole.

--Leah

I remember Skjoldr as being very passionate about our community. He was a great guy from when we interacted.

I do not know where to begin other than to say he had a good soul that will surely be missed. I first met him back in AoC days, right from the start you could tell what a great guy he was. Always working to make others happy and taking it very hard and personal when things went wrong. This was magnified 10 fold during our time in Darkfall. If you do not know Darkfall it was a stressful game where you could lose everything you had been working on for months in the blink of an eye.  Skjoldr lead us to many a victory and was amazing during a siege to save our city, he was our hero. Inevitably though during another siege we lost our city, we all took it bad but Skjoldr took it the hardest feeling like he had let us down. Of course he did not, he did what he thought was right and I agreed with his tactics but others did not and that really ripped his heart out. I have many a fond memory of that time and most was due to him. 

Skjoldr had a way of making everyone feel welcome and if he saw someone being left out he would go out of his way to make sure they were included.  No matter the game or the situation joining a Skjoldr group meant you were in for a grand time.

Strange how people you never physical met can have such an influence on our lives, I will miss you bud. 

ppjjl.jpg

Well it took a while to find this, glad it was still around.   :D

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

Approved - Damis

Applying for Age of Conan chapter.

Hey folks,

A little bit about me:
A long time back, I was hanging out at the local BattleTech center in Houston, a place called VirtualWorld.  This programmer friend of mine says he has to go up and check some email...not sure what that was at the time, so I go with him.  At his work he shows me this thing called a computer...the year was 1990.  That was the day my life changed .  On that day he showed me a thing called a MUD and online gaming became my "thing".  I had been a long time gamer, starting back in the orignal D&D days.  1984 is when I started doing it, I believe.  Anyways, to make this long story short, my gaming has evolved into many different pursuits.  And today I am playing AoC.  I have played many MUD's, numerous RPG's, many MMO's including Earth and Beyond, Anarchy Online, EQ, EQ2, WoW (for 2 weeks...gave it a shot), quite a few one week MMO's from over seas, SWG even after NGE(broke my heart), Tabula Rasa, and a few others.  I have run guilds, been in guilds, and I feel most comfortable in a group environment.  Typically I play a defensive tank of some type, on AoC I am playing a guardian(57).  I also have 2 healers, PoM(30+) and a ToS(40+).

My bud says you guys are kewl and I value his opinion.  This friend is from the SWG days, and we game together quite a bit.  So, having given you my life in a nutshell for the last 20+ years,  :)  I only have one question...

Where is the bathroom in this joint...I am getting older and can't hold it as long as I used to...?

Skjoldr

Cheers

Grim

He was the Tank.  In every instance that I played with him, that's how Skjoldr presented himself.  As if he really was the guy who shielded us all, all the time and from whatever Internet Monster was coming at us.  Just, "I got this, get behind me."  My first thought when I heard he'd passed was like hearing in some raid, that the Tank was down and what could I do to maybe get him back up again.  The sense of disappointment, knowing it wasn't going to happen was hard to take.

His name meant Shield.  And he acted it.  I will miss him.

• Upvote 2

This confirmation shocks and saddens me.

I just cannot find the words to express how this news make me feel.

I ask you all to hold a thought for his family.

I met Skjoldr in SWTOR back in Jan, 2011.  Will always remember him as a Sith Jugg, and a dam good tank.  He always lived up to his self given Viking name for shield.  Fearless wouldn't even begin to describe his approach to a challenge.  He will be missed severely and unfortunately we wouldn't get to enjoy his company when Star Citizen if finished.

I honestly can't remember when I first met Skjoldr, but it was likely either in the RoM or EQ2 chapters in my "early days" with COTP.  We seemed to alternate getting along and not getting along, but he was always a fun guy to have around. ;) It's never fun to lose a member of our COTP family, and he will certainly be missed.

The most treasured memory I will always carry with me involving Skjoldr is very important and dear to me.  I had only been with the guild about a year or so and was part of his leadership team in SWTOR. 

I got into an argument with some others in the chapter due to some personal issues they had with another member of the chapter.  I jumped into channel with Skjoldr and just went off for over 30 minutes.  In the end he got me calmed down and kept me from leaving the guild (for which I will always be eternally grateful).  If it hadn't been for him, I'd have walked away from the guild and my life would be much different than it is now, and most likely much worse. 

Because he kept me from leaving I stayed around and met Dansker, moved to Las Vegas, and am now happier and healthier than I've been in years.  I can never thank him enough for the precious gift he gave me.  I can only hope that he knew how much he meant to me and how much he did for me in that one night.  Though I doubt he would have felt that he did much at all.  He was just too selfless and when you tried to give him credit he would brush it off as if it was trivial and unimportant. 

He always gave me no end of grief on my lack of directional skills in swtor, but the day I led everyone off cliffs and got them all killed, not once but twice, man he just gave me no end of grief.  From that day forward one of the first things he told new recruits, was that whatever they did don't EVER follow Silver anywhere if they wanted to survive.  He called it one of the top rules lol.  He always believed I was capable of more than I thought I was, but even he conceded in the end that when it came to directions I was hopeless.

We have lost a bright star and an incredible friend.  I will miss you so much Skjoldr.  Who's gonna tell me that whatever I lost is in the last place I put it dummy, now?  Sleep easy friend, and know that we will miss you, mourn you, but most of all celebrate you!

I fondly remember fist meeting Skjoldr in Vent and i'm pretty sure we were playing Rift back in 2011.  I remember asking him how to pronounce his name and how he came up with it.   Good times.

He lured me with gifts and dirty talk... *lol*

nah... He was an awesome friend.  I mourn his death deeply. We were in the middle of quietly playing SWTOR and going through the trooper story line.

That Sunday he died, I had left for church after playing for a while with him and we were supposed to play a few hours later. He never came back to the keys.

After worrying for him the following day, the news broke. I had my suspicions because he had confided in me. But I didn't want to believe it.

I have had few friends, and even fewer close ones. Mike was someone I considered a lifelong friend. I logged in every morning and stayed through the day and we played.

The last couple years will never be forgotten.  I miss you Skodj. But I hope you're doing better where you are now.

I always had a good time with Skjoldr, even when he drove me nuts :)Could always count on him to take charge and make a plan of attack, even when you didn't want it. But that was him, a natural born leader who knew how to bring folks together to accomplish the mission. Multipas and I played a lot with him, had many hours of laughs I will miss those times, he was a great man, and I am glad to call him my friend. Rest in Peace bud.

Skjoolddur... no wait, Skuldur... fukkk.  

Ok I'll just copy and past it!!! Skjoldr, you will be missed. You have a huge heart and would give you shirt off your virtual and RL back to a stranger.  We were a better guild because of people like you. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and helping me laugh.

Buddy!! It was a pleasure knowing you!

Monty/George

I played across many games with Skjolder in COTP, was always a good dude.  Always enjoyed running in groups with him.  He was one of those people that pretty much always make you feel welcome.  RIP Bud.

I didn't know Skjoldr very well, but I did play Aion Online a few times while he was trying to get a chapter going. The few times that I had interacted with him he was always very welcoming and a generally nice guy. I hate to see him go and wish I had known him better.

When I saw the notice about the memorial service, my heart just sank. :(

I am really upset to hear this. He was always so much fun to chat with in Mumble, and very helpful in the games I've played with him in.

I didn't get to play much with him, a little bit in Swtor when he came back last year and in some pvp this year. Was able to have a couple really fun conversations with him. My fondest memory was him raiding with us again. We were full on tanks and he actually volunteered to play a healer or dps just to be with/help the group (he wasn't that good at it at the time :P). A couple raids later he was back to tanking as that need arose and he was more at home there for sure. That's where he excelled.

I wish I got to know him more. I guess I, like so many others, took for granted that we would have that chance as we continued to game together. I'm sorry I didn't take advantage of those opportunities while they were there. I'll miss ya bud.

Aw man, I'm going to miss Skjoldr and the pistol and knife parties we did in BF4.  He was really good and I liked playing FPS with him.  :-|

He helped me when I needed it, and listened when I had something to say. I admired his effort, dedication, and appreciated the time he took with poor fools like me.

I will always believe he is one of the best.