News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • How to get started playing WOW with a boost to level 100 - It's easy.

Those of you that know me, know that I was critical of WOW, I had not played it with any regularity since 2006  but with the Kung Fu Panda expansion being
    in the past I feel the last expansion and the one coming up "...This will begin to make things right."

So to get things started, you will need to subscribe.  You can start a regular character and go to level 20 for free, but to get started (really get started) you need to subscribe.
    Next create a Death Knight. You will start at level 55.  I choose a human so I was "aligned" with the alliance. As a DK you can tank or DPS.

FYI: The rules for the level boost require that you be a level 60 if you want your professions to be boosted also.  This will boost them to 700 (max).

Do the DK quests (they are pretty good), I found myself wanting to side with the Lich King.  heh. You should be level 57 or 58.
    You will eventually be sent to Hellfire Peninsula, via a portal, and that should get you to level 60.
    Go to Get your chosen professions or they will be selected for you based on you class (it will be based on the type of armor you can wear).

Character Armor Class     Professions Granted
    Cloth                                 Enchanting/Tailoring
    Leather/Mail                      Leatherworking/Skinning
    Plate                                  Blacksmithing/Mining
    There is no need to level up the prof's much unless you want to mess around for a bit.
    Note: Characters whose professions are leveled up from a Character Boost must learn recipes from a profession trainer in-game.

LOGOUT. Pre-purchase the expansion Legions. (If you choose to buy the expansion from anywhere but battle.net you will have to wait for the release to get the boost)

Login and In the upper right you should have the 100 boost button, click it and the acceptance and wait about 5 minutes.

You now have a 100 Death Knight.

This process will get your toon ready to go for WOW:Legions.

What happens when you go to 100:

All of your current quests are abandoned.

You get ~500 gold

Your bags are replaced with 22 slot bags and  you get some healing and mana potions for your new level.

Your old inventory goes to the mail box and you can recover it there.

You get new gear at level ~640

You get a flying mount and the flying skill.

Almost all of the flight paths are ready to use.
    Note: Boosted characters are unable to enter dungeons and raids from previous expansions for 24 hours.
    Alliance players will need to complete The Assault Base quest line, while Horde players must build their base.
    Boosted characters receive the Artisan riding skill and the ability to fly in all flight-enabled zones except Draenor.
    If you don't have any flying mounts, you will receive a basic flying mount.
    You can't boost a character if they have a WoW Token in their inventory, bank, or mailbox.
    You can't faction change or transfer your boosted character for 72 hours. You'll see Error 20078 if you try to
    buy a faction change or transfer a character to a new realm during this time.

You will get access to the Demon Hunter class starting Aug 9.

Here is some more info

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/boosted-level-100-player-essentials

Edited by Steelcamp

You can instant-100 any class via a new character, but will have to grind to 60 if having your crafting professions boosted matters to you.  If it does not, then pick the class you want to play.

Yeah, DK is great for a quick 100 if you want all the professions as well. I used my level 100 boost on a fresh Hunter and had to level all my professions the old fashioned way, and it's quite a grind - it probably would have taken me less time to level to 60. :P

FWIW, I'm leveling a Paladin now. He's level 41 so far, and it probably won't take too long to get to 60, but I have a bunch of heirloom gear that grants an XP boost. Heirloom gear is account bound and can be accessed through the collections tab on every character, so if you already have a few high level characters on another server, you probably have access to heirloom gear, if you want to level a fresh character to 60 before using the boost. 

One thing to note, you need a level 70+ character on the server to create a Demon Hunter there, so if you want to level a character to 60 in order to have max professions when you use the boost, you'll have to focus on that character before creating your DH. 

Edited by MadBlue

They only thing I have seen that I don't like with the level 100 boost is you are limited on what specs you can choose,  That changes what gear you get.  I am boosting a Pally but plan on being Protection which isn't a boosted option,  Get to grind gear to change it all LOL,

They may have limited the options during the initial boost to dps specs only as they are simpler to use for beginners or new players. The good thing about the gear changes they have made the last couple of expansions is that the gear works for all specs (your chest piece will work for ret, holy and prot once you can change specs). The weapons are really the only items you will have to acquire for each spec.

Once you hit 110 and start min maxing your secondary stats, you will likely want to keep different pieces. (Prot may favour versatility and mastery, Ret haste and crit)

Edited by Drekken

The boost gear isn't really amazing.  Expect to be replacing it all during your first set of quests for 101.

In other news, it sounds like we're very tank heavy.  Not a bad thing, per se.

Character Armor Class     Professions Granted

Cloth                                 Enchanting/Tailoring

Leather/Mail                      Leatherworking/Skinning

Plate                                  Blacksmithing/Mining

There is no need to level up the prof's much unless you want to mess around for a bit.

Note: Characters whose professions are leveled up from a Character Boost must learn recipes from a profession trainer in-game.

So, they won't boost the rest of the professions like herbalism, alchemy, inscription, first aid, archaeology and engineering?

So, they won't boost the rest of the professions like herbalism, alchemy, inscription, first aid, archaeology and engineering?

If you use the boost at level 60+, you'll be assigned the default professions Steelcamp listed, but if you select different ones before you use the boost, it'll max those out instead. Also, it'll also boost First Aid, but you have to level Fishing, Cooking and Archaeology yourself.

If you use the boost at level 60+, you'll be assigned the default professions Steelcamp listed, but if you select different ones before you use the boost, it'll max those out instead. Also, it'll also boost First Aid, but you have to level Fishing, Cooking and Archaeology yourself.

Ok, thx

• 1 month later...