News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Capture the mule potential Forum post

Fiery - last paragraph especially

We’ve all played capture the flag.  It’s a friendly, yet competitive game.  One of the rules is the flag must be visible on the carrier. 

How can we play that in Pathfinder?  With a flag that is bigger and dumber than a piece of cloth.

Introducing…

Capture The Mule

Two companies with humorous names will feud.  One is named The Blue Meanies.   The other has not yet been named.  (Nihimon is pondering this while grinning.)  Teams will be intermingled players from across the map, not city or alliance specific.  Teams will be chosen immediately prior to the game, and disbanded after, so the feud ends when the game ends.  Other teams are possible in the future.  Everyone is welcome.  This is sport.  This is fun.  THIS IS SILLY. 

Tier 1 only, including consumables, to make it a friendly game with little equipment cost.  Nothing exceeding +3.  Low gear creates some balance between new and experienced players so everyone can play.  Those playing with anything higher will be recognized and turned over to Saoirse as a play toy (or to others as they volunteer – Paddy?), so basically, honor system with prejudice.   All tier 1 gear means we can have a drink in the tavern together afterwards (possibly in our underwear) and part as friends.  Then the bards can write glorious tales of farce. 

This first time is a beta test of this game, and will be ultra-simple.  We may need to stop mid game and rearrange rules or teams depending on how this works.  Team leaders will have ability to contact each other should rules need adjusting.  We want additional games in the future.  There are legion variations of this, including gear restrictions, number of mules, different geography or typical monsters, and scenarios.  One of my favorites so far could be called Hide and Go Mule. 

Hexes will be Kevin 1 & 2.  (Kevin is the escalation hex north east of Hammerfall.)   There is a resurrection shrine at the half way line/point in the escalation hex.  There is an inn in Kevin 3, so we can take a full stop halftime and efficiently recharge.  These hexes have no rivers, steep hills, or other geographic hindrances making both sides of the field are fairly well matched.

Game will start at center line.  Drive the mule to either the mountain edge, or to the dead city line.  Essentially soccer, as played by 4 year olds, which is possibly the finest soccer ever.  (Violators of the tier 1 rule shall sport a bloody red “flag” before they are asked to leave the playing field).  Game will go an undetermined amount of time, not to exceed 2 hours, depending on player interest, scoring and gear loss.  Winning team gets to name the mule the next time out – must be general chat friendly.  First mule shall be named … Toledo.  (Because Poughkeepsie is too hard to spell.)

Thursday September 22, beginning at 8:30 pm est

WHAT SAY YE?

Those who need Tier 1 gear for this purpose and aren’t finding it in the auction houses, please contact your Settlement Leaders, Fiery Gatherer or Glinder.  We will try to arrange it.  Advance warning is a good thing.  Hammerfall Auction house will have a stock of T1 gear for sale on game day.  Crafters, if you are selling T1 gear, please publicize what and where.   New players, sponsorships are available to replace your gear so you don’t leave nekkid.  Please contact one of the above people to arrange it. 

Edited by Glinder

I think weapons should be restricted to a max of +2. New players can use T2 sooner than they can a t1 +3 weapon. I also have no issue selling T1 gear at-cost (that part isn't mentioned, but likely a good gesture).

That's logical math.  (Eggflower has purchased and is using a T2 wand.) 

I'll make the weapons change to +2.  Armor at +3.

There are very few players in right now.  This is mostly going to be veterans.

Fiery,  I was figuring fair cost in auction house.  "Sponsorship" aka "here have a weapon" to those lacking funds. 

(Not that I see any possible recruiting in this...)

WE still need companies set up, one with sufficient influence to feud.  I'm way out of my league with setting up The Blue Meanies.

Nihimon has a second company name.  To be revealed a bit later.

Edited by Glinder

That's logical math.  (Eggflower has purchased and is using a T2 wand.) 

I'll make the weapons change to +2.  Armor at +3.

I neglected to mention but armor mirrors the weapon pattern where players get access to T2 before +3.  True it hardly makes a difference right now but if we are setting this up with an optimistic vision of future games it will make a difference when this is the official PFO sport so why not start with the most refined version of rules so there's no adjustment bump right?

I suppose Thus and I can build lower + armor for ourselves.  We've been busy.  :girl_wacko:

I do see your point Prox, and it makes sense.  It's a sound precedent to set.

By my calculations, one of the flexible conditions for the future is gear, so starting it one way doesn't hold the game like that forever.  This could be run with gear received from the trainers only.  Or a bring your worst to battle which would put me as a MU.  Either of which has (comic) possibilities. 

Harn, unless someone is volunteering something more, prize for this is winning team gets to name the next mule.  Chosen solely for the simplicity and stupidity of the prize and because I'm lazy.  No one can possibly pout they didn't win the honor.  There may also be capes for anyone who fights in their underwear because it's funnier that way. 

Guest Zaxtonia

Will players have to change the colors of their armor, helms, capes, cloaks?  Green Vs. Blue etc.  Or will cloaks or capes be vs. non cloak or cape?  I.E. Shirts Skins, or is it all about company name?

Edited by Zaxtonia

I'm suggesting players change armor colors, if they are willing.  Similar color themes would be visually interesting on screen, and may allow some differentiation.   It may also build some camaraderie in a new fighting unit.  A big part of this is to get PLAYERS excited by something admittedly dumb.  Excited players tell friends.

I'm actually trying to let this first one develop organically with as few rules as possible.  That's why the story line is Soccer Game.  Wiser minds than mine can prevail on later editions. 

Some of us wear back packs for key words, (plus the frying pan is absurd), so cloaks won't work for all.  Mostly friends and foes will be identified by red dot on the tactical map.  Intent of free cloaks is at 20th death, players have "dignity."  Malacandra fighting with no armor but wearing a cloak in Auroral 4 was entertaining to me, and very sporting of him. 

It wouldn't surprise me pending on excessive gear loss, if "water fight rules" get applied at the end.  No one comes out of a water fight dry.

I truly expect lots of similarities to 3-4 year olds playing soccer.  They move in a great mob.  It's great fun to observe.  Either this experiment will have lots of scores, or the mule will move no further than 10 meters either side of the center line and everyone will be a giant clump the whole time.  Either way, it should be fun.

I gaze in stunned disbelief that Kevin is my greatest contribution to this game.  Now in a global press release.  In the true form of human nature the stupidest joke I ever made is the one idea that stuck.

That's it.  I'm retired.

Guest Zaxtonia

I will gladly donate 18 g for the first six matches as a reward for the winning team (3 g per winning team, 50 s per winning team member).  If 3 g per win is too much, whack it up however you desire and what ever makes it fair and fun.  Let me know when you need it, I can trade you at HF.

• Upvote 1

Zax,

Since teams could be 3 members each, or a 20 person mob, I hesitate to post a per member reward number.  If you want to post to the forums that the first 6 times the winning team will get 3 gold that would be great.  And entirely awesome of you as well. 

G

I asked Fiery to participate in this in Tier 3 gear.  We need an established playground supervisor.  Mostly sitting at resurrection with capes and tokens.

Unless purple monsters create too much of a hazard, then he can deal with them.  Or if someone with the personality of Zycor shows up to be a jerk.  He will also hold the mule during halftime. (or power recharge times).   Thank you Fiery for agreeing to do this.

Guest Zaxtonia

If the gold is unnecessary, then I will hold off till the dust settles from the first few rounds.  I will not post on the GW forums and I would prefer to remain anonymous from the server in regards to the rewards.  I am not sure attaching my name to the positivity will be helpful, but am more than happy to support it from behind the scenes.

Edited by Zaxtonia