News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • New Raiders & Casual Raiding

So it comes without question that people in Covenant are interested in raiding, the more newer players who wish to get into the raiding scene and see what all the hub-bub is about when people are talking about rotations, pushing DPS walls, solo healing, DPS-healing, so on and so forth. So I've spoken with Fatalia and I spoke with Bunny, Bunny who facilitated the idea of making a casual raid group and Fatalia who is backing the idea 110%. I am just putting the information out there for those interested in doing so as I did not see a thread dedicated to doing so, and trying to talk in voice-chat sometimes becomes overwhelming due to how many people are in it at once.

So the idea stems from starting off at either Coil Savage or the lower end Savage of Alexander aka Gordias before moving on to Midas and then Creator. Alexander being the new raid-tier for Heavensward offers a unique challenge to players through it's tricky mechanics and semi-punishing DPS checks. For many of you, this would be your first time raiding so a bare minimum is going to be expected of you. The mindset from that of an average player to a raider is not a very long leap, but your expectations/standards do need to be raised if you're going to break from the mold of casual to hardcore in the future. You need to be able to take criticism with a grain of salt and give feedback where it is necessary and most importantly you need to be able to communicate with your fellow raid members, breaking bread with those around you will make your raid experience much better and your performance/syngery as a group will soar to newer heights as you progress through more difficult tier's of Alexander.

Job Expectations 

This is the bare minimum/bottom of the bowl for what is required to raid.

Level 60 Disciple of War/Magic

An understanding of your job's basic rotation, while weaving in oGCD (Off Global Cooldown Abilities). Being able to read guides that show you how to optimize your DPS so you can play your job at an efficient level. This is required as to not put any extra strain on someone else. You are there as a team and everyone must do their part to ensure successful raiding!

ACT - Advanced Combat Tracker - This is what is used to track and monitor DPS (Damage Per Second) HPS (Heals Per Second), Mechanics and other factors of a fight. Without this tool it is without a doubt that any group will be in the dark as to why they wipe, what mechanics caused that wipe and what they can do to impede/mitigate the mechanic that wiped them. 

FFLogs (Optional) - I am saying this is optional because you guys are just beginning your career as a raider. FFLogs is essentially a leaderboard where players can upload their ACT Data or "Parse" to a public database where everyone can view it. This is usually used to determine what your role is in a raid and how well you do compared to other players. Ask about it and people will tell you more information.

Raid Terms 

These are some fancy lingo's all of us raiders use! 

Wipe/Wipe It Up - Easily explained. 

OT - Off Tank 

MT - Main Tank 

LB - Limit Break 

Trash/Trash Pull - Fodder Mobs

Rez - Ressurection

CD - Cooldowns

There's a variety of different languages used by different raiders, but these are just a few you'll come across. Over time you'll come to learn/understand them and maybe even make a few of your own. In no time you will be apart of the XIV raiding community! If you are interested in raiding and want to explore more into it, feel free to ask myself, Fatalia or anyone in the FC! We can direct you to the right sources and informative players in the Free Company who have equal or more raiding experience! 

Edited by Basette

Love love love this!

If we can make this happen I think it would be a great thing! There is a steep learning curve between what 99% of the game prepares you for and what is needed to successfully raid on a current Savage tier. A fresh group starting slow and growing together is something that I have always wanted to see happen.

This is great and will hopefully help those who may have been on the fence about raiding or just barely getting their feet wet. Everything we can do to make people who want to get into raiding for the first time more comfortable so it isn't a nerve wracking event, the better.

I'm gonna quote this here cause I'm gonna follow up with a question after:

ACT - Advanced Combat Tracker - This is what is used to track and monitor DPS (Damage Per Second) HPS (Heals Per Second), Mechanics and other factors of a fight. Without this tool it is without a doubt that any group will be in the dark as to why they wipe, what mechanics caused that wipe and what they can do to impede/mitigate the mechanic that wiped them. 

FFLogs (Optional) - I am saying this is optional because you guys are just beginning your career as a raider. FFLogs is essentially a leaderboard where players can upload their ACT Data or "Parse" to a public database where everyone can view it. This is usually used to determine what your role is in a raid and how well you do compared to other players. Ask about it and people will tell you more information.

You say these tools are benefits to general raiding. Now I don't game on a PC but game on a Ps4 Console. Lets just say in a hypothetical instance that I would be interested in general raiding.  How would you get these tools on there??

I'm gonna quote this here cause I'm gonna follow up with a question after:

You say these tools are benefits to general raiding. Now I don't game on a PC but game on a Ps4 Console. Lets just say in a hypothetical instance that I would be interested in general raiding.  How would you get these tools on there??

You can not.  The game does plenty well enough job to telegraph boss abilities, and how to avoid them, and a lot follow from normal modes, so you should generally know how to avoid them.  If people die to unavoidable damage (targeted dmg, room wide aoe dmg) then your healers aren't healing enough.  If you're constantly hitting enrage or can't kill X before it blows up and wipes the raid, then your dps is low. If a tank dies to a tankbuster even after getting healer shields and topped off, then they aren't using cooldowns (or the proper ones at least).  If you're not advancing through a combo (the next ability didn't light up), then you missed and your accuracy is low (you can also turn off all other player dmg floating on the screen and you'd notice the big MISS float up from the boss).  The only thing you can see from ACT and not from the game itself is the actual numbers of dmg and healing, but the game has an answer for that in Stone, Sea, Sky practice dummies. If you can kill the selected dummy (for instance A9S dummy) within the time it gives you, then you can do enough dps to help the group clear.  The only thing then is keeping up your rotation while dodging mechanics.  That comes with practice in the fight itself.  Lastly, the game has a combat log (which is what ACT reads) which is customizable to show exactly what you want it to, like just dmg you've taken, or just dmg you've done, or both, or everyone, etc.  It will even say in the dmg log how you died (YOU have taken 10000 damage from X (5000 overkill)) if i remember correctly.  Haven't looked in a while.  You can even seperate your chat windows so you can have them showing all the time.

ACT can be another tool if you plan on being in the competitive scene and need to extreme min/max, or if you're tryin to join a raid group that is highly competitive, but for just getting through content, they are not needed.

Edited by Justanote Ondafridge

I would be interested in joining a raid group. I've been waiting to get my ilvl up first before asking about raiding and always willing to learn how to better my class being personal tutorial or guide.