News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • The Last Jedi Discussion! [Spoilers!]

Time for us to geek out over the latest Star Wars episode! For nostalgia's kicks, you can visit our nerdgasms over The Force Awakens here.

Note that this thread contains spoilers so read at your own risk!

First of all, wowwww. That was a very enjoyable movie. Luke was definitely the highlight for me, and I really hope he'll be back in episode IX like he told Ben. I absolutely loved how his first action was to toss his lightsaber away, the whole theater died at that.

When the command bridge got blown up and Leia floated out there, I was so worried that that was it!!! But then she used the Force and that was so. freaking. amazing. I've been emotional over Carrie's passing since it happened, but I'm going to miss seeing her in episode IX.

The fight between Luke and the First Order was awesome. I kind of suspected he wasn't actually there, since earlier in the movie Ben had alluded to something about distance and it would probably kill him if he tried to do something to Rey that far, but it was still satisfying to see Luke project himself halfway across the galaxy like that. Him brushing the 'dirt' off his shoulder after the laserfire was great. His death though :( 

I do have two major complaints though, regarding Snoke and Rey's parentage. Both had been seen as huge deals, but both were extremely underwhelming. Still have no idea how Snoke rose to power and how he became so powerful in the Force, but him simply dying so easily was just disappointing. 

I want to know about Luke's compass that we see among his possessions in his hut. He took it from one of Palpatine's secret bases, but did the compass lead him to that island? Did Sidious know about that island? It's hard to imagine he did, but that's another mystery.

There were so many good scenes in TLJ. :D 

I liked how the expectation was turned on its ear regarding Rey's parentage. There were a lot of shout-outs to ESB and RotJ that played out differently, that being one of them, which was pretty neat. 

I love Rose. She's a great addition to the cast. And I don't think we've seen the last of DJ (Benicio Del Toro's character). I get the feeling that he'll turn out to be a good guy in the end (he gave Rose her pendant back, knowing that it had sentimental value to her, even though it was valuable). Also, Lando Calrissian hasn't appeared yet, so I wonder if he'll be in the Episode IX. There have to be some allies out there that Leia can call on.  Speaking of Leia, I wonder how they're going to deal with Carrie Fisher's death. Leia was supposed to be a big part of Episode IX.  And RIP Admiral Akbar. :( 

The Porgs were cute without being too annoying. That scene with Chewie at the campfire was hilarious. :D 

Rose felt completely unnecessary. Her subplot with Finn felt like filler content for a movie that was already long.

I did enjoy Poe being more fleshed out though, my bae fighter pilot daddy. 

Yeah Finn and Rose's subplot had no impact on the actual story lol.

Also I don't think we've seen the last of Snoke. It reminded me of Valkorian's death

Edited by Dra

The more I think about the movie, the less I like it.

It just feels so anticlimactic.  I know it's hard to hit the mar since there was so much hype.  part of the issue is the expanded universe has been going on for 30 years.

The plotholes abound...and the scenes and lines lifted straight from past movies are getting old.  Add to that almost zero character development and killing off characters that are overhyped with almost no screen time (looking at you Phasma).

I really wanted Luke to be in a real lightsaber duel.  I get that he's being a hermit, but the fact that he just 'gave up' and ran away after one moment of weakness I just don't understand.  And Yoda never came to him before?  Ever?  In however many years that he was hiding?!?!?!

And that he died was just stupid.  I imagine Leia was supposed to die in the 3rd one (kill one character off per movie).

I don't understand why people are annoyed with Finn and Rose's mission because it didn't impact the main plot of the movie. Certainly Finn and Rose intended that it would. It's just that their mission was a failure. The thing is, it gave some insight into what was going on in other parts of the galaxy while the struggle between the First Order and the Resistance was going on. We also got some background on Rose, an introduction to an intriguing new character (DJ) and some potential setup for the next movie with the seed of the Resistance being planted in Canto Bight. That said, many of the aliens and antics in Canto Bight felt more like something that would fit better in the prequel movies.

I imagine a lot of the backstory is going to be presented in non-Episode movies, books and animated series. While this was also true before Disney took over, the fact that the EU is being scrapped and only canon material is being produced from now on means that there's a lot of backstory to tell. Also, while we have the luxury of being able to watch Episodes I-VI to get a more complete story, we didn't know much about the Emperor at all from the original trilogy and had to wait 16 years before we got his backstory. I'm sure we'll find out more about Snoke from animated series, books or non-Episode movies.

Regarding what happened with Leia and Luke in the last 30 years, the new trilogy is primarily about a new batch of heroes and the mantle being handed to them. Now that we know that Luke became disillusioned with the Jedi Order and that Leia's strength in the Force is more than we thought, we'll probably get novels to bridge the gap and explain what happened to them in the intervening 3 decades. What happened in TLJ with Luke and leia was meant to be a surprise to us, not a confirmation of expectations. Granted, some may be disappointed, but there are lot of people balking at the idea that  "suddenly Leia can use the Force" like she's been frozen in carbonite for the last three decades. 

That's not saying that TLJ was a perfect movie.  I felt that some of the scenes (particularly the one with Snoke, Ren and Rey) were lazily written to almost appear word-for-word what appeared in the original trilogy. And the editing could have been better. For example: Captain Phasma was stranding right next to Finn and Rose in the hangar just before the cruiser rams the ship. Then the next scene, she's entering the hangar with a squad of stormtroopers? But I think it was a fun movie and certainly fills the role that Episode V did, in being a center chapter, with a lot left unanswered and the heroes facing an uncertain future. 

Edited by MadBlue

Something else about Finn and Rose's escapade - it actually did have an impact on the story. The First Order learned about the Resistance's escape to Crait through DJ. If Finn and Rose hadn't been captured, the movie would have ended with the majority of the Resistance, instead of just a handful of people,  escaping to Crait without the First Order following them there. The entire battle on Crait and the showdown between Luke and Kylo Ren wouldn't have happened.

I just got back from watching this... and yes it was good for the most part.

A few things I found wrong...

1 - Rebel Fleet has six hours... contact Maz... send Finn and Rose to other planet... throw them in jail... break them out... steal new ship... and fly back...

even ignoring the TRANSIT TIME all the rest of that would have taken more than six hours...

2 - Porgs, while funny on the island, are the new Gizkas, which were the RATS of Star Wars... and should have stayed on the island...  I do like the Crystal Foxes though.

3 - Luke's death was... meh... sure they foreshadowed his 'heart attack' with Rey's Blaster and the rain and such... but that was a bit of a let down really...

4 - Leia's death... should have happened on the bridge of that ship... it would have only taken a few minor edits and a reshoot of two or three scenes and bam... but nope... can't do the sensible thing with that character.

5 - Snaok's death... really? He's toying with Rey... slapping her upside the head with her light saber... and can't notice Ben moving it a bit? Great fight with the Red Guard though.

6 - Rose's sister and the bomb drop control... what killed the actual bombardier? why was that thing not actually connected to anything, or have a spare elsewhere on the ship? How is kicking a ladder that passes through the hole in the upper floor, attached to the floor and ceiling bot not the floor the control is on, going to cause the controller to drop? how was she even alive? there was no shields and the whole ship was open to space... and considering how big an explosion the bombs made to the enemy ship... why did the other bombers not blow up like that once they'd activated their bombs?

7 - Again they mention Parsecs when referring to Hyperdrive travel, but don't explain how a distance relates to a speed... actually... from other lore... the Space Lanes are dictated by gravitational forces and using the Flux Variances a skilled pilot can trim distance from the route by edging closer to some gravitational wells... in this way a "fast" trip is a shorter distance using less fuel but can actually take more time... but that's getting into Quantum Physics... hopefully the Han Solo movie slated for next year will explain some of this better.

I did like the Force Projection stuff... kind of reminded me a bit of Bastilla in the KOTOR games... hopefully Disney will rethink ditching so much of the (now) "non-canon" lore and bring in more of that stuff.

personally i liked the movie. i figure luke will have taught us some heretofore unknown manner of existence between life and death wherein one can let go of the physical body willingly, travel among the stars, and return to walk among the others. ( and no i dont mean as a ghost)

re: Snoke, ive seen some pretty compelling arguments that Snoke is in fact SyfoDyas. I'd like to see that fleshed out, even if it is an afterthought.

Just got back from seeing it. Jeepers good movie. I was captivated the entire time and hit every feeling from happiness to bloodlust. I really wanna see more fights in the next one. The guard fight was awesome. Even if it was Rey and Kylo working together. The one thing I don't understand about that fight though was the weapons that they used and how their armor was unaffected by it but not lightsabers. Looked like vibro weapons of some sort. Aren't they based on the same type of technology? Learn me nerds :P

I didn't go into the movie with any preconceptions. I successfully evaded spoilers so the movie was untainted. Eat it @Dra. Lol. I even  saw it in 3d. I am gonna see the next ones in 3d as well. It was totally emersive unlike other movies where it end up looking forced.

I guess I would end up saying that I had the same experience with Empire Strikes back in that I really wanna see how it wraps the story up. Leaves questions for what is going to happen next.

• Like 1

Thought it was mostly garbage. I found very few enjoyable things about. My favorite part being Luke and Yoda talking. The whole Finn and Rose political campaign was pointless (yea I saw their subplot as omg slavery bad, arms dealers bad, look at how bad society and shitty it is). Their "love" story was bs. 

The pussy toys, I mean porgs are dumb.

Luke's death felt outta place. If he's going to die why not just go to crait.

Admiral Jurassic park lady being secretive just to drive the subplot and then at the end go I like him. Wtf? Her send off should of been done for Leia or Admiral Ackbar.

Snokes death also pointless. Nuff said.

Is the first order stupid or incompetent. ..why don't they hyper jump a star destroyer out of combat and then hyper jump in back in combat in front of the resostence... checkmate?

Oh and why do the first order have to arc lasers in space?

There was more dumb stuff but think that's enough for now.

Edited by Melkor