News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Fallout 76

Meander

• CotP Sentinel

Thanks to the Ark expansion coming out a week before F76, I decided to wait on F76.  I've heard mixed reviews online, so I'm curious as to what the COTP people think so far.

Now that the game has been out a week or so, what do you guys think so far?

9 hours ago, Elric said:

Thanks to the Ark expansion coming out a week before F76, I decided to wait on F76.  I've heard mixed reviews online, so I'm curious as to what the COTP people think so far.

Now that the game has been out a week or so, what do you guys think so far?

I've only got to play it briefly. I had a technical issue with it not naively supporting 21:9 (3440x1440). So I spent more time trying to get it to work. The highest it would support on my system was 2560x1440. It was stretching the image, and making things look wider. After some time tinkering with the .ini file, I did get it to use 3440x1440. But then the UI was only using the 2560x1440 of it. Not game breaking, but annoying. So I played for a bit. I haven't played a Fallout game in a while, so I forgot how the UI works. I think it's the same as Fallout 4. Like what buttons you hit, to navigate the interface.

There does not seem to be any text chat support in game. Which feels really weird as to not have that in this game. But I also heard that there isn't Push to Talk in game. So I guess voice chat is treated like an open mic? But I think you can mute it. I also read that it will be added. 21:9 support is also going to be added. When you start the game it seems to randomly assign you to a server. You can hit the Soical tab and see other players names in your world. You can interact with the name on the list. Add friend, block, and a couple other that I think were for grouping. The 2 times I checked it out had around 25 other players names. Some of the names seemed to be close to my location. But I didn't see any players in game. I only spent about 5 minutes playing. So I'm not quite sure how you do interact with the other players.

As you do various things you can earn Atoms. Which are used for cosmetics in game. Things you wear, and emotes.

I later remembered I could set my nVidia setting to not stretch the 2560x1440. It would leave black bars on the side.

The graphics engine seems updated, and looks nicer than I remember Fallout 4 looking. The selfie photo mode looks fun. I did spend an extra long time tinkering with how my character looked visually at the character selection screen.

I did read of some person Roleplaying Preston and warning players about various settlements. 

I still need to play it more. 

I like it but I think it plays better if you play "slow" and still feels like a solo experience is the best experience. Bringing a buddy along is a good time if they are willing to go "slow" and not fly through the content.