News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • GW2 these days...

Elric

• CotP Sentinel

Since BDO, I haven't really been able to get into any major MMORPG's... I've been playing a lot of Steam games, survival genre, etc.  That being said I've really been jonesing for a good MMORPG again.  A lot of the big ones I'm waiting for are too far off to seriously play right now.  I tried getting back into other MMORPG's in the last year, like SWTOR or FFXIV.  I just couldn't get into it.  Recently though, I watched the livestream for the 6-year anniversary of GW2.  I had originally maxed out a character in the original game, but I had stopped playing before either of the expansions came along.  I'm thinking of playing the game again, but I have a large number of questions... :P

1. What is the community like these days?  Are the servers still relatively populated?  I'm mainly asking on the subject of WvW or PvE dungeon groups.  Since COTP doesn't have a large group of active players in GW2 (AFAIK), I'm assuming I'll have to convince some other people to join me or just PUG it. 

2. I don't have either expansion... I see online in some places I can get the expansions for $20 or so. I  just missed the 50% sale unfortunately.  Do you guys think the expansions are worth getting?  What do they really add beyond just the brief details it lists on the expansion pages on their website?

3. I have a number of exp boosts available as I have 5-6 characters that have been created since the original launch of the game.  I noticed they also give out more with each expansion you buy.  If I skipped to level 80 though, will that not skip a huge part of the game?  Is there enough to do at level 80?

4. So, Seasons?!?! It sounds like they added special content like zones, dungeons, etc., but the details are really vague.  Some have been discontinued, but some seasons are still playable.  I noticed you have to purchase each season though.  Are they something along the lines of mini-expansions?  Any of them worth getting?

Thanks in advance! :drinks:

Would be easiest to reply voice; I'm on early EDT morning and nights.  But here's the short version:

1) community is the best; it's GW2's strength. Populations are good depending on what you're doing. Dungeons not popular;  WvW and Raids much more so. Best to find an active guild for company, especially in WvW but you can do fine solo or PUG with almost everything. Dailies are always busy every day.

2) IMHO expansions are critical for three reasons: elite specs, gliding, and mounts. Here the game starts at 80. I'd recommend starting with PoF for mounts; makes all PvE easier. I use elites from both expansions and you will want to explore those too; base class builds are seldom preferred.

3) You won't miss much skipping to 80; I think the game starts there.  Then again I've done it the hard way more times than I can count.  What you might miss is a better understanding of the class. As for having enough to do, depends what you like.  With an active guild, I suspect you'd be very busy.

4) Personally I don't care for living world but I've done them anyway if there's something I want.  I wouldn't pay for them but you can always get with gems later.  You know all you have to do is log on when one is active to get free access right?

Talk soon!

--Leah

• CotP Sentinel

Thanks for the info Leah. ;)  I tend to play 10pm - 1am CST, so I will likely miss you most nights.  I do play during the day on my lunch break occasionally, so maybe then?

Now I only wish Path of Fire was cheaper than $30... There doesn't appear to be any sales or any discounts for it online. 😕

• CotP Sentinel

I picked up Heart of Thorns for $13... Zero luck on Path of Fire though.  I may have to wait on that one and just play HoT for a while.  I don't think I'd want to spend over $20 on it, but hopefully some sales will come along eventually.

Wait on PoF for a sale; just don’t buy from third party—some are scams. HoT is challenging, to put it mildly, and will keep you busy. Worth working through with each class for the new elite spec alone, but pick your favorite to unlock content like gliding etc. which are account wide.

I’ve seen you on several times but possibly afk. Will catch up to you soon to fill you in on what’s going on; Pd still plays too but mostly Australian time.

—Leah

HoT is not as popular of a map anymore, but not to say people still don't go through it.  I still have things left undone there, along with many class elites to get from HoT and achievements.  The more difficult achievements may be harder to do now days, so you have to beg an active guild for help or post in the LFG and hope others join you :)

• CotP Sentinel
    23 hours ago, Perfectd said:

...so you have to beg an active guild for help or post in the LFG and hope others join you :)

Yeah, that is kind of the part that worries me a bit.  Right now I'm fine with soloing and just getting used to the game again.  However, at some point to keep me interested I'm going to want an active guild with a bunch of people to do PvE / PvP. I've put a few posts out there on the GW2 forums, but there seems like there is nothing out there.  I saw one guild with a ton of posts and active responses from the guild leader... When I PM'd them in-game they said they moved on to another guild because their old one wasn't active enough. O.O

I definitely see players around, but active & organized guilds seem harder to find these days.

I’ve solo’d or picked up a pug all the way so you can manage if needed. The best way to find a guild is to play with people in a guild and see if you like how they play and best place to do that is WvW, at least for me. That entirely depends on server and time you play. WvW guilds are pretty active.

Otherwise remember that guilds tend to recruit in populated maps like Lions Arch and world bosses but then you have little idea if you’ll like them. 

—Leah

Of course! But if you drop CotP I’d have to kill you. 😋 if I could, of course, which is not terribly likely. Tho I did 1v1 a ranger today! :lol:

Are you still on JQ? We’re linked to Maguuma for two months and I’m rather enjoying that so far. 

—Leah

• CotP Sentinel
    8 hours ago, Perfectd said:

The beauty is you can be in up to 5 guilds at once, so you can keep CotP and join 4 others in game.

Right.  I've never joined another guild, so I do have 4 guild slots open. ;)

• CotP Guardian
    2 hours ago, Damis said:

I have started to play the game again.  I am going to start a new Necro, but I am torn between a human or vorn female.  Suggestions?

*cough* more female players? Sounds like your estrogen levels are high again, lol.   :)

Cheers

Grim

Race doesn’t really matter except for story and looks. That said, you will never convince me that Asura don’t move fastest and Norn slowest. Other than that, it’s personal choice. :)

—Leah

• CotP Guardian
    2 hours ago, Leah said:

Race doesn’t really matter except for story and looks. That said, you will never convince me that Asura don’t move fastest and Norn slowest. Other than that, it’s personal choice. :)

—Leah

Oh Leah, why couldn't you follow the new meta and just tease him?

I would have laughed, seriously!  😛

Cheers

Grim