News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • So is it good?

Phyreblade

It's so very choppy and laggy that it's hard to enjoy it at all. I imagine it is a server issue but that doesn't give me much to hold out for when the game actually launches.

There hasn't been an easy way to identify controls. Says it's in the Tutorials menu but it isn't, exactly. It does show some controls, but only those related to a specific entry in the tutorial.

I really dislike the first person view in the social hub. I see that it's meant to 'increase immersion' but it doesn't -- not for me. Being able to see my character play in 3rd person is pretty fun, though. The combat feels okay but I think it's mostly just because I see my character. So far that's all I've enjoyed.

There's a lot of bugs and issues they need to work on. For a demo, I'm disappointed. This game has gone gold and the demo should demonstrate the final product. If this had been called another beta then I wouldn't have minded, but yeah.

Edited by October

For me, there's the fact I played earlier during the "alpha we're not supposed to mention" so I can see where there's been some improvements. Some of my thoughts then, based on my own experience:

(1) The demo places you into a level 10 toon. The alpha allowed us to explore the game using a brand-new character, rather, and during that play-time I enjoyed a somewhat more extensive tutorial. So this particular time I was better able to navigate the game, even without a real tutorial this time around. I'm excited to think how much better I'd be playing if I had leveled a toon all the way from 1-10 rather.
    (2) There have been massive improvements to the flying routine on a PC. Erudius can tell you, during the alpha I was flying into walls and caves like mad! Both of us noted the problem during that testing experience, and it seems the developers took note. Because the controls dont seem so much sensitive now. It will still take some time practice-flying to really get the hang of it. And as soon as you get it down-pat, they toss you into a watery tunnel and you have to figure out how to swim too (I think it's going to be better if you actually DIVE rather than fall into the pools, mind you)
    (3) The demo's also allowed me to FINALLY see more than the initial Javelin they give you. I've been told over and over the Ranger is the most versatile of the classes but even now during the demo I just didnt like it. The Ranger felt clunky to me, even though I was flying better this time around. But then I got myself into an Interceptor and I was zipping around like a little mosquito-thing, complete with flashing blades. And it was suddenly FUN as heck! It was just so FAST! Interceptors are definitely designed to get in fast, melee-attack like wildfire, then get right back out before the enemies can even blink from the shock.
    (4) Combat can be hectic, and it's definitely NOT designed to be completed solo. Of course, I went in there on normal-mode and not easy. But I'm grateful as heck I didnt try anything harder! There were tons of enemies, including one big boss-battle, and the number of times I was left in an inert Javelin made me want to weep (it was better when I upgraded to an Interceptor; I just darted away before I lost all my health). But the battlefields are challenging, with loads of rocks and hills and trees and then down into tunnels and through water and oh-crap-how-did-I-even-get-here moments. I think leveling from the start so that these battles aren't coming at you from a "I'm not sure what I'm really doing, here" perspective will make them even more fun.
    (5) I had the chance to play around with the Forge, too. Or in other words, "making my Javelin look real pretty". There are tons of options to help personalize your Javelin, everything from adding varied abilities, defensives, and even whether to toss a grenade or launch a missile, etc. All the way to what color and metal and cloth and shape each piece you're wearing … it's extensive enough to keep me busy as heck for a solid half hour of mixing-matching textures and the like.

That's me so far. 

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2012-01-30-01_zp

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2011-57-34-58_zp

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2012-01-28-59_zp

AnthemDemo%202019-01-26%2012-06-10-09_zp

Game is looking pretty good from the vids and the screenies.

What is the Javelin on the far right? Scuba-Steve?
    I am assuming far left is Ranger, Middle-left Interceptor, middle-right, the tank one (name vacated me).

iEZXq4k.png

• 2 weeks later...

October were you playing on a PC?  If you were, I'm curious how the system requirements stacked up against your PC? 

Phyre, I had the same problems with flight as you did.  Mainly going up and down.  Left and right was no problem. 

4 hours ago, Boshu said:

October were you playing on a PC?  If you were, I'm curious how the system requirements stacked up against your PC? 

Phyre, I had the same problems with flight as you did.  Mainly going up and down.  Left and right was no problem. 

I tried the vip demo on PC and according to reddit at the time, a lot of people were having similar issues, going as far as saying the game wasn't meant for pc in the first place. Can't say I disagree, especially with the menu. Typically I run games on high but even after reducing all settings to their lowest, it didn't make any improvements.

For the open demo I tried it on PS4 just inside of the little social area before quitting it. It ran smoother. 

3 hours ago, October said:

I tried the vip demo on PC and according to reddit at the time, a lot of people were having similar issues, going as far as saying the game wasn't meant for pc in the first place. Can't say I disagree, especially with the menu. 

I'm curious, why do you say this game isn't for PC?  I also have a PS4 and I want to make the right decision.  I really want to play again with members from COTP so I was looking forward to playing it on PC.