News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.

I have recently jumped back into the game with the 6.4 patch.  When I first played the game with the first open beta, I was not digging it at all.  So I shelved it but kept up to date on various changes over the months.  Out comes 6.4 which really included a huge overhaul to the traits and discipline systems.  So I jumped back in and wow I am really enjoying the game.

I am sure people who have been testing this and following it more closely understand the game but for me this game has a HUGE learning curve.  Leveling a fresh character to level 30 is super easy, but that is only the starting point.  This game with its Vessel system is basically restarting a character and releveling but as you get a higher Vessel the longer it takes you to level the character to level 30.  The higher Vessel the more base attribute points it starts with.  The Vessels follow the basic color scheme we are use to in MMO's white, green, blue, purple, and orange.  It is clear that this game wants people to have multiple characters as you will be advancing them and sometimes deleting them to upgrade but you still need to have characters to play.  The good news is you don't have to come up with names for call your characters as they all take your name.  So I may have 5 characters but they all will be named Inseril.

The crafting in this game is sooooo deep.  I know others in the guild who like crafting more then I do can explain it better, but lets just say this is a very guild centered game.  It will be a challenge for one person to craft everything because of the limited Crafting/Gathering Discipline.  Each character can have 2 and there is a lot of Disciplines.  Lets say I am a Blacksmith and I pick making armor.  I will need components that might come from a leather worker as well to craft my armor.  So they try to build a lot of in game coordination between crafters.  Large guilds can easily set up a nice loop of organizing crafters to make components that can be shared. 

Resource gathering in this game is huge and require lots of resources.  There are nodes called motherloads that require multiple people to harvest.  Often times I see small groups head out to gather those resources with a few people harvesting and others being the defense against people trying to gank the gatherers.

Frame rate has improved since I first played but in large scale battles it does drop a lot.  I was not a fan of the graphic but it has started to grow on me a bit.  Combat is so much more fluid.  This game is still a zerg fest from the limited PvP I have tried.  I see Crowfall as a game I will play especially between downtimes of other games I like better.  I don't know if this will be a game I play 4 hours a day for 10 years like I did with Ultima Online but it does seem to be a lot of fun.  Look forward to running with a group and doing coordinated battles with guildmates.  

• Thanks 1
    • Administrators

Thanks for the detailed review.  I think I will  check it out again this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know if you plan on jumping in it again.  I can hop into Discord because this game is not made for soloing too much other then to learn your class.

• Administrators

I will try to play this weekend.  I am busy coding a project for work, so I haven't had much time to play anything this week.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.