News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Virtual Gametable Program

Delmar

Currently, we are using Maptool as our virtual tabletop program.  You can find it here: http://www.rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro'>http://www.rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro

Please use whatever version is in the development box (currently version 1.3.b47 as of this posting)

Here is the link for the main page, which has other useful tools, manuals, tutorials and tokens: http://www.rptools.net/doku.php

If you need ANY help with anything (getting set up, making tokens, using the program) just contact me by pm, post or e-mail).

Here are some sample advanced macros you may wish to use.  These are screenshots because I can't cut or copy in MapTool:

This first shot is of the macros for Splug, just to use an example:

395_30_11_08_11_16_00.jpg

In the above shot, the first two macros were too long to be viewed.  Here's a shot of the end of the first macro:

395_30_11_08_11_16_34.jpg

Here's a shot of the end of the second macro:

395_30_11_08_11_17_04.jpg

Here's a shot of the lower list of macros which weren't displayed in the first screenshot:

395_30_11_08_11_17_45.jpg

The next two are shots of the properties for Splug so you can see how they relate to the macros:

395_30_11_08_11_18_12.jpg

395_30_11_08_11_18_35.jpg

Any questions, I'm more than happy to try to help, but keep in mind that I didn't make these macros.  I downloaded them from the MapTool forum.

The first macro that was cut off:

<span style="font-size:0">[HealingGained = ChangeHP][HP = min((max(HP,0)) +HealingGained,MaxHP)][state.Dying = 1 - max(0,min(1,HP))][state.Bloodied = 1 - max(0, min(1,HP - Bloodied))]</span> <b>[HealingGained]!</b>

The second macro that was cut off:

<span style="font-size:0">[DamageTaken = ChangeHP][TempHP = TempHP - DamageTaken][HP = HP + min(0, TempHP)][TempHP = max(0,TempHP)][state.Dying = 1 - max(0,min(1,HP))][state.Bloodied = 1 - max(0, min(1,HP - Bloodied))][state.Prone = 1 - max(0,min(1,HP))]</span> <b>[DamageTaken]!</b>

Now the issue seems to be that we are not using the same type of token so I need to figure that out

WOW...someone spent ALOT of time setting these up! 

Could you please email Splug to me too so I can take a look at his innards...?

I'd think a quick, cheap, and easy way to make this work would be to EDIT Splugs token file inside of MapTool and make it your own (change the name, portrait, etc), then fine tune the stats and macros to your needs...I'd suggest saving the edit as a test token for starters and keeping your own for now until we can test it in game though...

WOW...someone spent ALOT of time setting these up! 

Could you please email Splug to me too so I can take a look at his innards...?

I'd think a quick, cheap, and easy way to make this work would be to EDIT Splugs token file inside of MapTool and make it your own (change the name, portrait, etc), then fine tune the stats and macros to your needs...I'd suggest saving the edit as a test token for starters and keeping your own for now until we can test it in game though...

Yea that is what I was going to do but when I load him into map tool on the properties page I don't have all the options.

Delmar was there anything else you downloaded that gave you a more advanced properties page?

EDIT: You must have gotten a token properties file somewhere include with the module. If you could find that and send it to me I would be grateful.

EDIT2: I think I may have figured it out but need to be able to connect to the saved game to be sure, so next week I will know

Tagon, I'm sending you the campaign file for the adventure.  It has everything included in it.

I created a test token using Splug's token as the template and it seems to work fine.  What options weren't you able to access?

If you want to connect to the game before next week let me know and we can set up a time to do it.

k...it looks like there IS a properties file associated with the individual modules...it's editable in the edit->campain properties dialog.  It's also exportable.  Gonna try this and see what happens...or if I can import properties into a default opening of the maptool.

I get the same thing in the default opening of Maptool that you do Tagon, but if I place my splug clone token into the module I have the extended properties appear. 

bottom line, if we save the tokens in the module with the properties active, they will still be there..we just can't access them unless the properties are set in maptool...

• 1 month later...

FYI, for those, like me, who have difficulty trying to guess at how many squares there are between my character and something or someone else, there is a function in Maptool which allows you to overlay a grid on any map.  Go to View on the main menu on the top of the MapTool screen and click on Grid.

This is most helpful for me.

• 2 months later...

As we played tonight with the new build we found that it no longer hides the dice roll but shows the whole macro. This is fixed by changing the [] to {}

so instead of

[d20+10]

we would use

{d20+10}

The only problem is it hides the roll information on hover

hhmmm...that's unfortunate.  Unless there is an objection, I'd prefer to continue using "[ ]" rather than "{ }" for several reasons.

First, it means modifying every macro I have (which, as everyone knows, is quite a lot).  While I'm planning on modifying them to cut back the verbage so the releveant information can be seen quicker, replacing all of the function equations would be quite a job.

Second, it makes it an incredibly time consuming matter to determine critical hits.  You have to know your total modifiers, which means looking them up at best, and having to try to calculate them on the fly at worst.

There are other reasons, but you get the idea.  If anyone does have an objection, let me know.

LOL, sometimes the fixes are easier than we imagine.

This is not a bug and it is not a change in the way that [] macros are being handled.

They added a new check box in preferences which allows you to choose whether you want the details to show up like a tooltip.

Before the checkbox, all [] macros used tooltips to reveal the details.  For some reason, when they added the checkbox they set the default to "off" for tooltips.

To correct this, just click on "Edit" on the main menu at the top of Maptool, click "preferences", select the "Interactions" tab and check the box under "Chat" that says "Use ToolTips for Inline Rolls."

That should allow you to see the roll details as before.  Please let me know if anyone experiences any problems with this.

Any clues as to why some of my pre existing damage/heal macros work on some tokens and don't work on others.  They are all the same macro, imported and exported between tokens!

Many of my mobs the other night lost their damage ability...:(

KC, can you give specifics on what's happening when you use them?  Or copy the macro itself in your post so that we can see what it says?  Preferably, please do both if you can.  In Maptool, control-C will copy and Control-V will paste. 

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I looked at this tool very briefly - I have a regular gaming group in real life that has moved hither-and-yon, and this may be just the thing to let us game together.

However, we don't play D&D, that's too pedestrian for us snobs. :-)  More seriously, I would likely be running the Reign system or the new Twilight 2013 system.  Both have a different die-rolling pattern, and I'd like to find out if it's easy or hard to do it with the die-rolling program.

Reign - Xd10, count the matches.  I'd like to have a macro like [5d10m] which roll 5 10-sided dice and show each die roll, grouping the maches together.  E.g.  2, 2, 5, 5, 7

Twilight 2013 - Roll Xd20, choose either the highest or lowest.  So [2d20L] would show 5,17 or [2d20h] would show 17, 5.

Is this type of mod simple in this program?  I was an old c-coder and don't have a problem shell scripting, python, and perl (among others), but I'm not a java/object-oriented type of guy. :-)

-Jeff

P.S. With both systems, there are times you need to see all of the dice even after you pick the match/lowest/highest.

P.P.S. In case you are curious:

http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/  -  I hate the setting that comes with the game, but love the system and use it in my own 1st-age Middle Earth setting.

http://www.93gamesstudio.com/site/node/7  -  I ran twilight 2000 many years ago, and this is a substantial rules upgrade that I really like the look of thus far.  Both games are set after a nuclear war and related disasters kill off a large percentage of the population, leaving the players struggling to survive in a world with a destroyed infrastructure and decaying parts.

yes you can see the high and the low. Not sure about the matching and yes you can see the rolls even after you pick the low or high.

The script is also very easy so I am sure you wont have any issues.