News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Rule discussion

Tagon

I have always felt that DnD was about the group getting together and having fun. The rules are there to add structure and aid the group in doing just that, however sometimes the rules hinder our ability to enjoy the game. Other times we may need to make new rules to add to the game in order to make sure the group is having fun.

Although it is the duty of the DM to make sure the rules are in place and followed I have alway felt that the group as a whole should have some say what these rules are.

This thread will be just for that. If you feel a rule needs to be added modified or ignored to facilitate the fun for the group this is the place to talk about it.

This will also be the place to list the rules that during game play we set forth. For example since the first time I slammed someone into a wall with a push attack we have added a D6 of damage cause by the force of the hit. This "rule" is one such that I have never been able to find in a rule book, but feel it adds to the game and will (unless the group disagrees) carry over to H3.

Great Thread Tagon!

lol, how about instant immobilzation to any character who opens a door while any part of the group is in combat?

For example since the first time I slammed someone into a wall with a push attack we have added a D6 of damage cause by the force of the hit. This "rule" is one such that I have never been able to find in a rule book, but feel it adds to the game and will (unless the group disagrees) carry over to H3.

That rule is my "fault" as I permitted it and kept it going through the first adventure.  Technically, I believe that we may actually be directly contradicting the actual rule, which may be that if the space around the target is occupied, the target is not required to move.  Anyway, I vote to keep it.  I think it adds a bit of strategy when pushing.  Plus, it just seems to make sense.  Most push attacks don't allow for opportunity attacks against the target as he is being pushed.  This seems to imply that the target is being pushed with so much force that they are moving too suddenly and/or quickly for others to realize what's happening and make an attack.  When I implemented the rule, I also would say that if you pushed a target into another character or NPC (rather than a wall), that target and the other character or NPC would be knocked prone by the impact.  I would vote for this to be implemented as well, however, it might be fairer to give the character or NPC who is struck a saving throw to see if they stay on their feet (maybe acrobatics or athletics).

One thing that I do regret about the way that I implemented the rule was the d6 damage part.  At levels 1-4 (which is what we were at the time) 6 hp is ALOT of damage to take.  Also, you take d6 damage when you fall 10' and I don't think that you get pushed with the same force as a 10' fall (but, then again, maybe).  Anyway, if I did another starting adventure, I'd change the damage to a d4.

Having said that, at our current levels (and in the future), d6 is not a big deal.

How about a rule saying that new players can't simply join with a flash of light?  Seriously, there's a flash of light and suddenly Zenobia and Sylly are there?  Don't you have to work your way to a summoning crystal or have one of the characters have a summoning ability?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  Peanut gallery will now shut down.  Have a nice day!

How about a rule saying that new players can't simply join with a flash of light?  Seriously, there's a flash of light and suddenly Zenobia and Sylly are there?  Don't you have to work your way to a summoning crystal or have one of the characters have a summoning ability?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  Peanut gallery will now shut down.  Have a nice day!

As Tagon said...teleportation scroll.

See, this is why you should be playing.  You're interested enough to ask questions.  I think its time to take the plunge!

Now...whats the point of being the DM if I can't take some creative liberties from time to time...;)

Teleportation scroll...perfectly acceptable and pretty Jeepers creative for 30 seconds of consideration I'd say...rofl

Next time I'll just have Scotty BEAM them down...

I totally agree, if this were some kinda grognard group that spent hours debating the rules we'd not be around this long me thinks.  Our blend of rules from the books and rules from the hip is what has made this group a success i believe...:)

As a matter of fact, it sounds here like there was, in fact, a scroll mentioned.  I didn't happen to hear it and Zenobia said she didn't remember one being mentioned either.  If there was, in fact, a scroll... 

Ok, you know what?  I'm sick of hearing myself whine about this whole thing.  Have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

So when we start H3 a couple of new books will be out including the PHB2 (out next week) Martial Power (currently out) the Adventure's vault (out now) possibly Arcane Power (4/21) and maybe just maybe the Monster Manual 2 (5/19). Now I for one like a lot of the new stuff in these books and would like to start using them. However I don't want to say yes in H3 and then have one of the other DMs not like the idea and remove it from play.

So what do you guys think about allowing any published book additions to the 4th edition rules. I am not sure I want to add anything from the magazines as I feel they don't normally give a big enough picture.

I have no problems with that, but we need a way to "share" the .pdf copies...since some of us may not aquire the books...

At this time I have a PDF copy of every realeased book but the DM Guide.

As to a way to share. MS has a program to save and share docs online. We would all need to register with it, but at that point it would be easy to share.

I am not sure if you have to register for this site, but I am in the process up uploading all the Docs I have to here

http://www.4shared.com/dir/13634796/5e410cf1/DnD_4th_Edition_Docs.html

Or

COTPDND.4shared.com

This was the first site I found that let me share folders.

I'm on board with your suggestion to allow info from any of the published books.

I'm also uploading what I have to the shared site.  It includes:

DM Guide

Updates to all the core books

Advanced Player's Handbook

Dungeon Tiles (you can use them if you build maps for maptool)

Campaign files (files with cmpgn extensions for use in Maptool so you don't have to build modules from scratch)

Adventures, including P1 and P2

• 2 months later...

So I have had a DnD day getting mentally ready for my stint as DM starting in two weeks and came across some interesting information about rolling a character above level 1.

It seems the game has some guidelines for equipment and gold. Now the character creator from DnD insider does just this but what I find interesting is that the gold for a level 7 character is 1800, now if I split what I have between the two characters, I have more then that, but then again I am the only player who has been there from the start.

So with that in mind I am okay with each player having 3600 gold currently. The way this will work is if you currently have less then 3600 total gold you now have 3600 gold. If you currently have more then 3600 gold you keep that amount of gold. Although I think the only player with more then 3600 is me.

As an FYI this is in addition to any starting equipment I may give you. It seems Tagon and Raeya are the only characters remotely equipped as a level 7

I know that I am no where near level 7. Since we are not playing on Saturday, I was going to spend the time getting my character sheets and macros adjusted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I am going to head out to B&N this week and pick up a Players Handbook, the tabbing back and forth is making me nuts.

Oh my, it does seem like the site decided to change my wording, because that is a phrase I would never use.

I definitely want to keep Sylly, I am familiar with wizard spells as it was my favorite class to play.  I am kind of iffy on Zen. I only choose a cleric because the group was without one; I had never tried one before. I did feel more comfortable with her by the end of the adventure, but with KC back I don't know if she is needed.

I was also worried about fire power with 4 characters leaving; Zen really doesn't pack much of a punch. Do you have any suggestions on a class that might be more beneficial to the upcoming campaign? 

As always, I would counsel to play a class that you like.  Making sure you enjoy yourself is the most important thing.

As for what the group needs, I think our biggest deficiency is having no rogue.  We've got two tanks (Beorn and Minicod), a controller (Delmar), AoE (Kelimbor), ranged (Sylly and Liaden) and a healer (KC).

Well as to what we have vs what we need

With you keeping what we have

3 leaders(2 clerics and the warlord)

2 Defenders (2 dwarf fighters)

2 Strikers (ranger and warlock)

1 controller (Wizard)

With my two characters leaving we are losing

1 defender (swordmage)

1 striker (rouge)

The lose of the rouge may be bad as it does leave you with out the ability to pick locks, but I can manage that other ways if it is an issue. And the sneaking into rooms wont be as easy, but then again most the time I would get bored and just run though any door I could find.

So as to what we need for the next campaign..nothing be what you want. PH2 introduced some fun classes and a few play tests have been released if you want to try one of them I am ok with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tagon, are you planning on using the basic token property set that is the default for MapTool or do you have your own additions to it?

I ask because the tokens I previously made for Delmar, Kelimbor, Zenobia and Sylly use some special token properties.  If you wouldn't mind, I'd be most appreciative if you could add the following to the token properties list:

*AC

*Fort

*Ref

*Will

*Speed

HalfLevel

InitiativeBonus

ActionPoints

MaxHP

*TempHP

*CurrentHP

*SurgesLeft

ChaModifier

ConModifier

DexModifier

IntModifier

StrModifier

WisModifier

AcrobaticsBonus

ArcanaBonus

AthleticsBonus

BluffBonus

DiplomacyBonus

DungeoneeringBonus

EnduranceBonus

HealBonus

HistoryBonus

InsightBonus

IntimidateBonus

NatureBonus

PerceptionBonus

ReligionBonus

StealthBonus

Streetwise Bonus

ThieveryBonus

To do this, please:

-copy the list

-go into MapTool

-click on Edit on the top menu

-click on Campaign Properties

-click on the Token Properties tab

-click the New button

-in the Name box, pick a name for the new campaign properties list (don't use Basic)

-paste the above list in the box under Name (to paste, use ctrl-V)

-click the Update button to save your changes

If this is a problem or if you don't want to do this, please let me know as I'll have to rework all macros.  Thank you.