News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Armor Advice Needed

So for the last several days I've been struggling with what armor to use on my Sorceress. I switched to using 2 pieces of Zereth, the Boots and Helm for the Stam and Knockdown defenses. These have made a huge difference in pvp already. The extra Stam has been huge in survivability and I've noticed a difference in the knockdowns for sure. The other two pieces are where I'm struggling.

Few things I've considered:

Agerian - 1 socket each, Chest Bonus +50HP, Gloves Bonus Attack & Cast Speed +1, 2 Piece set bonus +100 HP

- Trading 100 HP and 2 Sockets for +1 Attack Speed and Casting Speed....Which can be in one gem.

Heve - 2 sockets each piece, no individual set piece bonuses. 2 piece set bonus is 250 HP, always a nice option and good amount of sockets.

- More Sockets and More HP for better customization of gear.

Grunil - no point, set bonuses don't match. Unless there is something hidden here I'm missing?

Other Options:

Zereth Gloves: 1 Socket, +2 dmg vs Every species and 3 piece set bonus +5 dmg vs Every species with Agerian Chest for +50 HP and 1 socket or any 2 socket chest

- Lose out on a good amount of HP which is proving to be pretty big, but can be a pretty big increase in damage if species +dmg is working in pvp.

Agerian Helm: 1 Socket, Stun/Stiffness/Freeze Resist and 3 Piece set bonus +2 Attack and Cast Speed.

- No need to worry about gems breaking and losing max Attack Speed. Will have to find gems for Stam though which means either not as much survivability or can't max crit.

Taritas Gloves for +2 Accuracy and Zereth Chest for +5 dmg 3 piece bonus, +5 HP auto restore, +50 LT weight limit (Not much of an issue, but always helps to carry more pots).

- Lose a lot of personalization of stats with less slots and lose 250 hP vs 2 piece Heve. Doubt I would be able to get to max Att and Cast speed. Of course the only options that get me there either take 2 gems slots in Armor and Gloves or 3 Piece Agerian.

Been trying to wrack my brain this week to figure out what the best course is and could really use some input.

Things to keep in mind:

- Maxing out Attack Speed and Casting Speed boost my damage a ton.

- The Stamina is extremely important for my mobility both in catching up to and running away from along with avoiding most of the crap on the battlefield.

- My overall AP is low, but I do more dmg in PvP wearing my Accuracy OH vs my AP OH. Tried this back and forth in several pvp battles lately, its not even a close call, Accuracy is higher overall dps at this point.

- Cost of gems can be an issue, I'm not a wealthy person. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to keep replacing gems to maintain my dps. The problem is the gems are far superior to the item effects on some of the armor. Eventually the money won't be as big a deal, so it maybe worth getting armor with 2 gem slots each so I can customize it better as I can afford it.

I've swapped back and forth between 3 Agerian 1 Zereth and 3 Zereth and 1 Agerian.

I honestly liked the 3 Agerian simply because you got a lot of stats without having to invest in crystals too much. However, if you are good at not dying I think 3 Zereth and 1 Agerian is better, imo (maybe just my playstyle). I like the stats that Agerian gloves give you and usually pair that with a Viper crystal.

I would say when you are considering armor and crystals is not to forget food buffs so that way you can play according to what stats you are aiming for; food buffs can fill in wholes that you might have.

That is a good point about the food buffs, I hadn't considered them for that. I was simply looking at food as best generic damage increase stats and not to fill gaps.

I think Grunil is a good set, but you really need to gem double 150 stam to get it to work and those gems are fairly rare atm. It still leaves you down 250 stam vs 2 Zereth though which can be pretty big. Just have to decide if that is good enough for you and your playstyle. The benefits of Grunil are pretty big though with the AP bonus. Looking at others testing they posted, it appears initially that 2 dmg = 1 AP which make the set bonus from Grunil much better than Zereth. The only set of 2 gem gear I would consider is Grunil. It can be the best in game, but its going to be expensive to maintain the gems.

Yeah. So honestly I might say using 3 Agerian and 1 Zereth would be good for initial pvp until you feel very comfortable with your class and don't die; then maybe upgrade to a different set. I think you will save potentially a good bit of money that way but it is always fun to test and see what works for you.

Welp, good thing that Grunil is already bought and payed for and being upgraded. lol. I will just wait until I manage my squishiness a little better bf I start gemming up. 

So after a lot of thinking about this, I ended up on 2 Zereth and 2 Agerian.

The deciding factor was this......Being able to upgrade Agerian and Zereth for additional defenses that you can't do on Heve. In order to make up for the defenses, you would need to use 2 of those gems slots thus eliminating that benefit. That leaves the difference to +100 HP or +1 Att/Cast Speed. Since cast speed to max is the most important damage stat, that also saves a gem slot. I can then use the gem slot to get +100 hp and +20LT gem, thus making the Agerian give 20 more LT total between the two.

The reason I'm not going with Grunil is the Stamina. I just can't get as much. At best with Grunil I can get +300 vs the +550 with 2 Zereth. Stamina helps with both survivability and damage thus making it one of the most powerful stats for Sorcs. That is a choice of defense over offense though as Grunil would be better for pure offense and allow for more customization as things change in the future. At this point I'm going with the alive Sorc does more damage than the dead one. That may change as the game progresses and I become better at PvP though.