News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Neverwinter?

Anyone going to try Neverwinter? I'm checking out the Open Beta on the Dragon server.

Edited by MadBlue

I am Meander and Urze on the Dragon server.  This game is pretty fun, it has a definite D&D feel, albeit dumbed down.  It passed the fun test though, which is something not a lot of games seem to do lately.  How long is the open beta?

I'm not exactly sure. It doesn't say when it's ending. I wound up getting a "Guardian of Neverwinter" pack because I know I'd wind up spending money on character slot unlocks and Astral Diamonds anyway. I created a female Half-Orc Guardian Fighter named Snarla and a male human Trickster Rogue named Garidan. I don't know what I'll be making when it goes live though (hopefully they'll have Rangers available by then).

Edited by MadBlue

My user name there is "Xtropian". I had created an account under "MadBlue" years ago when I was using a different e-mail address through an ISP that I no longer use, so I couldn't access it. :(

It's not a big deal, but it's kind of annoying.

Yea Bakath,

But I attributed that to the starting levels.  I'm hoping it's more open after that.  My toon Meander is just past the city in a dungeon right now. 

I literally know nothing about this game right now, cept that it uses the D&D version 4 rules.  I saw someone riding a horse so I guess it has mounts :)  Don't know about housing or building castles or anything like that.  It seems to have trade skills.  I also saw an auction house.  I read today that it has something called the foundry, where you can make player generated content.  It might be time to dig up my old dungeon master files and digitize some of my own stories too :)

and MadBlue.... Dahmmm... that guardian pack is expensive.  They wanted $199.00 for the founder pack too!  I'd have to be real sure before buying the guardian one.  I wonder what their cash shop will be like.

Yeah the big thing about this game was player created content. I am going to give it some more play time for sure but if it is D&D wow I will be sad.

• CotP Guardian

The question that I have is...

Is this another pay to win game, like ROM, as some folks are saying or is it a game where the items you buy are more like mounts and superficial items, like LOTRO?

I hope it isn't PTW!

Cheers

Grim

By the way, apparently this is a soft launch, and there aren't going to be character wipes between the open beta and launch. Bearing that in mind, I think I'm going to reroll my characters to get the exact look I want rather than continue to test play. :)

The question that I have is...

Is this another pay to win game, like ROM, as some folks are saying or is it a game where the items you buy are more like mounts and superficial items, like LOTRO?

I hope it isn't PTW!

Cheers

Grim

Did a bit of reading on this.  The developer, Cryptic, said on gamespy that it won't be PTW.  I know, didn't ROM say that?  :)  I read on gamebreaker an article that gave some details where it is not set up to be PTW.  I tend to trust gamebreakers opinion.  I did come across some nerd rage on the subject in the NW forum.  His point being, you can purchase zen (PW coin) and sell them for in game cash and buy out the AH.  I guess that's PTW.  Although there seem to be some debate in that thread whether you could actually do it.  Cryptic said in the interview on game spy, that there will be a bit buying gear, but the top gear levels will not be available that way.

There is a bit of PTW in every FTP game, I hope that it won't be a big thing in this game.  I don't think it will be.

I rolled to characters (Control Wizard and Guardian) to see how this game was. I like the looks and some of the aspects about it for sure. However, my major compliant and this is for the wizard in particular, you cannot move when casting spells.   Compared to the Guardian who can block and take a bit of a beating (course I am talking a tank versus caster but the DPS for the Wizard was not really any more than that of the Guard.) Not to mention the combat animation just seems a bit stiff. I really like the simplistic controls of the game. I have not tried to tinker with remapping keys yet (can you?) but having all the moves near the WASD and the two mouse buttons it was a nice change. Making my Razer Naga nearly useless aside from heals and my daily move. I do NOT foresee me picking this one up at launch. Perhaps down the road maybe.

The nice thing about the game is that since names aren't unique, there's no disadvantage to waiting as far as getting the names you want goes. Also, they're going to be releasing additional (and free) classes soon, so, for example, if you wanted to play a Ranger or a Warlock, you could just join in later and roll one, rather that playing other classes and then having to delete characters or buy additional slots (although it's only $5 for 2 character slots).

I posted this on facebook, but posting it here as well for extra visibility:

1) The Open Beta is essentially a soft release. Characters you create now won't be wiped when the game officially releases. There will be new classes and races released later (Drow and Archer Ranger, Warlock are coming soon). The races and classes will be free.

2) Character names are tied to your @handle, so they don't have to be unique. The @handle isn't seen as part of your name in-game (just in inspects, searches, mail etc).

3) You can friend and talk to anyone on any of the servers by friending their @handle. My @handle is @xtropian. (I had created an account several years ago for a different game with an e-mail address with an ISP I no longer use, so "@madblue" was already taken - by me <sigh>).

4) The three servers are going to be merged shortly after launch. So whatever server we're playing on now, we'll all be on the same server after launch. We can all friend one another in the meantime to coordinate.

5) That being said, Guild names are unique, so we should create the guild on one of the servers now and all join up after launch. A few of us were going to start it up on Dragon, but if someone wants to start it on another server, that's fine. :)

6) I highly recommend the "Guardian Pack." The game is F2P, but there are things that you'll want to buy if you play the game seriously or for any length of time, and it's a good way to support the game. Anything you can buy from the cash-shop you can buy in-game by converting currencies, similar to GW2, but the Guardian Pack starts you off with a bunch of equipment, mount, companion and Astral Diamonds (which are used for the auction house and to buy "Zen", the currency used in the cash shop).

Edited by MadBlue

I've been playing it and find it enjoyable.  It doesn't feel that much like D&D to me so far (hopefully with upcoming updates it will), but the combat system is a nice change from the usual MMO tab targeting.

Considering it is on Perfect World International it may end up costing more to play than a sub based game. I used to play another game of theirs, it was alright but you could have easily dropped $1000 a month just to play. Neverwinter is also suppose to contain stuff from R A Salvatore but maybe I am mixing games up. I got the emails to play as well for certain packages, but why when it will be a free game.

I got the emails to play as well for certain packages, but why when it will be a free game.

There are Founders' Packs that include extra character slots, Astral Diamonds (an in-game currency that can be converted to cash shop currency), and other freebies (some unique to founders and some from the cash shop).

There are plenty of F2P games that generate revenue through ads, and are completely F2P (no cash shop) -  but in an MMO, the F2P model works because many people drop some cash on it here and there, and some pump a lot of money into the game buying mounts, pets and aesthetic gear. In a game with high production value and ongoing development and support, and no entry cost, revenue has to be generated somewhere. Personally, I'd rather have a cash shop than have ads for Mountain Dew and Domino's Pizza popping up every time I pick up a quest.

That being said, there isn't anything in the cash shop that you have to buy to play the game. There are items that let you craft faster or get an XP boost, for example, but you won't have to pay the cash shop to access quests or character abilities. You can gain Astral Diamonds in game as well, so if you want something from the cash shop, you can save for it (granted, it would probably take a while).

My time is still very limited and GW2 is my first love--but that said, this game looks interesting and different and it's NEW!

I think my @ is Qieri--that's your display name, not your email, right? I sent Blue a friend request.  I rolled and rerolled and ended up with a dwarf cleric named Linth Gundhai (after my old Shadowclan shaman) and a tiefling wizard named Kallista Demoneye.

I'm retiring in June, so will potentially have more time to play both games--tho I don't plan to let them take TOO much of my time. :)

--Leah

I'm retiring in June

I'm so jealous!  My wife told me yesterday she wants to retire to a cabin in the mountains away from everyone.  I told her as long as we have electricity and a strong internet connection, I'm ok with that :)

My Neverwinter account was hacked last night.  I hope I didn't spam any of you.  It's fixed now and my characters still exist.  I'm missing zen though.  I guess perfect world will respond eventually.

Ah! I was wondering who that was. :D Yeah, the @handle is your display name. It doesn't look like it can be changed, unfortunately. A lot of people seem to have different display names than their CotP forum names, so we'll have to keep track of people with the guild notes (once we form up - which could be as soon as we have 5 people on at the same time).

Let's do that soon; set a time outside normal working hours and I can be there for it.

--Leah

from the NW wiki:

Starting a guild

In order to start a guild in Neverwinter, you'll first need to assemble a full group of five players, including yourself all at level 15. The members of this party will become the first members of the new guild

I have one character at 16.

I'm so jealous!  My wife told me yesterday she wants to retire to a cabin in the mountains away from everyone.  I told her as long as we have electricity and a strong internet connection, I'm ok with that :)

My Neverwinter account was hacked last night.  I hope I didn't spam any of you.  It's fixed now and my characters still exist.  I'm missing zen though.  I guess perfect world will respond eventually.

Haha  :to_pick_ones_nose2:

I made a control wizard on dragon server, its pretty cool, i like the combat =)

I started playing a bit on sat.  I have a trickster Rogue up to 16 named andir.  Cept I am not on the dragon server.  So I will delete him and roll a new one there and start all over gain *sigh* LOL  I think my handle is @cntry

Edited by Andir