News Ticker
  • Welcome to 2021, let's hope it is better than 2020.
  • Leveling Too Fast Once Again?

• CotP Guardian

I was watching a Twitch stream of folks that had leveled to 60 in the Foundry in 11 to 16 hours.

Why are games making it so easy to get a character to end game?

Now the question, is there enough "game" to keep people such as this interested in the game after they get max level in less than a day?

I hope there is a butt load of content in and coming, because the game does look interesting.

I am happy that I am and always be a casual gamer, that loves to play the games, not just rush through things and become bored and leave.

Cheers

Grim

Instant gratification man, they could never make a game like the old days that took a year to reach max level, so they speed it up and end up loosing people anyhow.

• CotP Guardian

Well i suppose that way they get paid by the folks that just want to be leet as well as folks like me that enjoy the game, long term.

:dance3:  :dance3:  :dance3:  :dance3:

I'm going to play it, at least part time.

Cheers

Grim

There is a Foundry, which allows for player content.  There are a ton of player built quests, though I can't speak for their quality.  I've only tried two so far and they were generally okay, but had some bugs and rough spots.

• CotP Sentinel

I really enjoyed the Foundry quests, had 1 that was well made and another was just a bunch of monsters in a maze, i could see this helping sustain the game, some people will always level fast. 

You can't powerlevel through the Foundry anymore. Some information here about the ways people were exploiting the Foundry and why the fix was needed.

• CotP Guardian

So if they fix that you will be max level in 3 weeks rather then 2?

Well not sure how long it will take after they fix it, but it was as fast as 11 hours.

i guess anything is better than nothing and the silly people that leveled that fast are now either going to have to level another character or will likely quit the game due to boredom. Same ole crap, LOL.

:D :D :D :D

Cheers

Grim

Bakath, did you watch the video I linked to? People were exploiting the Foundry. There was one where all it was was hundreds of elite monsters crammed into a pit full of traps that did continuous damage to the monsters, and the player could attack them without being attacked back. That's why some people were leveling so fast, not because of the Foundry itself. People creating that kind of content (and taking advantage of it) are being banned.

Edited by MadBlue

No I did not but I heard, I guess I am just venting about the way the games are headed or have gone, hard to name one that you can't max out in a month anymore. 

So if they fix that you will be max level in 3 weeks rather then 2?

Only if you decide that you want to power through the game.  Just like any MMO, you can hit max level in a short time if that's your goal.  But, just like any other MMO, you can also choose to take your time, explore, craft, do player content, or otherwise enjoy aspects of the game other than jumping from quest to quest and powering through as fast as you can.

hard to name one that you can't max out in a month anymore. 

I can't argue with your statement that MMOs can be maxed in a month (or less).  But it's the player, not the game (usually), that makes the choice to power through content at light speed.  I am certain that there are MMOs where you have no choice but to level quickly because there is limited content, but most offer a huge variety of things to do besides powerleveling.

LOTRO comes to mind in this regard.  Sure, you can blow through quests and hit max level in the blink of an eye.  But you would miss out on a wealth of entertainment value.  Reading the quests (something that admittedly I'm guilty of not doing) provides very interesting, deep and entertaining stories.  Crafting can occupy hours and hours and yield both profits and useful items.  The deed and legendary weapon systems provide more sources of entertainment value.  Even just exploring the entire world can occupy many hours of gameplay.

MMOs, like most games, are what players make of them.  Choosing to plow through content is a player's right, but doing so is the player's choice and the fact that the game allows for same should not, in my opinion, be held against the developers.

Yeah man, even in DFO we are trying to rush though to max our skills, nothing like the old days when people had patience, it took many moons to rank up and the games had the content to support it. ;) Well I have to put some on the devs but they are kind of stuck in a tight spot, you make something a real challenge or something you need to work for and your player base will revolt. It's a fine line these days for the devs and they have to make the investors happy buy getting it out there and allow for instant grad the majority of people have. I did not mean to spam this and take away from this title just bothers me and I knew we will never get an old school style game again. 

Foundry quest - 50 ogres, spawned one after another as you kill them.

Each ogre kill gets you a third to half a bar of XP.

Ogres are always your level.

Usually two levels a run-through, each run through could take a little less than half an hour.

10-16 hours seems about right to hit max level just grinding that.

Did 60 levels in ~40h through the campaign.  Not as fast but also not as mind numbing.  IMO endgame lacks depth, but will be fun to run dungeons with you all -- moar levels =)

• 3 weeks later...

I am another of the "wander around and explore" type. I see max level as an end, not a goal. I am in no hurry to get there, so I have 3-4 toons leveling. As others have said, it is impossible for the devs to please everyone as some players will warp to max level then complain about lack of end game content, not even thinking about the hours upon hours of content they just flat out missed along the way...

true they don't see everything just want to max lvl. another one I found is stand were you invoke either campfire or near sgt knox. do domination pvp get 1/3 to 1/2 or more lvl and able to invoke again. I sent it in but not sure they will do anything.

oh forgot win or lose you get the xp.